Schwinn Heavy Duti Cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't sure whether or not to put this here or in the Klunker section. Because of the bars, I figured it would be better suited for BMX Cruiser.

It started life as a fendered beach cruiser. I don't like fenders, and I love tall BMX bars. The fork is an inexpensive Amazon $50 special. The bars are Haro Baseline 9.5" rise. Sunday top load stem. Mod headset. I'm waiting on a black seat post to be delivered.

I took the bike out for a spin this morning. Within the first 20 feet of the ride, I had a smile from ear to ear. The bike just feels so good set up like this. It is so much fun to ride! It's a completely different bike. It rides soooo much better than my SE OM Flyer. This is by far my favorite bike.

20230618_123933.jpg
20230618_123857.jpg
20230615_103504.jpg

I really like your simple but durable setup on your bike. Yellow is a great color. I set my bicycles just like yours for a few years but came to realize it was putting a lot of pressure on my butt sitz bones. I dropped the bars way down. I like S and M bars and use a cruiser style bar with about 5" rise. I also use quill BMX stems because they are bulletproof and will not let a taller bar rotate when pulled hard. My 73 Schwinn Varsity with BMX stem and S and M with a 5" rise or so. The handlebar is a little higher that the seat. This lessened the pressure on my sitz bones which allows me to ride further.
IMG_1953.jpg
IMG_2675.jpg

I really like your simple but durable setup on your bike. Yellow is a great color. I set my bicycles just like yours for a few years but came to realize it was putting a lot of pressure on my butt sitz bones. I dropped the bars way down. I like S and M bars and use a cruiser style bar with about 5" rise. I also use quill BMX stems because they are bulletproof and will not let a taller bar rotate when pulled hard. My 73 Schwinn Varsity with BMX stem and S and M with a 5" rise or so. The handlebar is a little higher that the seat. This lessened the pressure on my sitz bones which allows me to ride further.View attachment 237545View attachment 237544
If my butt continues to be sore, I may try a different seat or a 6" BMX bar I have laying around to take some pressure off the sitz bones. Thanks for the idea of a lower bar.

I didn't mention the stubby saddle. It is a Spiderflex and has cutouts where your sitz bones touch the pads. It is noseless which keeps me from having another prostatitus episode and is very comfortable. I bought my first one with great trepidation and one ride was all it took to make me a believer. So lower handlebar to put more weight on your hands and a Spiderflex saddle really help with saddlesores and such.

I wasn't sure whether or not to put this here or in the Klunker section. Because of the bars, I figured it would be better suited for BMX Cruiser.

It started life as a fendered beach cruiser. I don't like fenders, and I love tall BMX bars. The fork is an inexpensive Amazon $50 special. The bars are Haro Baseline 9.5" rise. Sunday top load stem. Mod headset. I'm waiting on a black seat post to be delivered.

I took the bike out for a spin this morning. Within the first 20 feet of the ride, I had a smile from ear to ear. The bike just feels so good set up like this. It is so much fun to ride! It's a completely different bike. It rides soooo much better than my SE OM Flyer. This is by far my favorite bike.

View attachment 237397View attachment 237398View attachment 237405
Sweet looking ride. They are a well made frame and great base for many custom builds. This is my one.
IMG_2714.jpeg

Latest posts

Back