Schwinn Heavy Duti Klunker. Photos and Video Up!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well, I'm bored. So I'm going to start the build thread for my klunker! I just bought a heavy duti frame from ind-chuckz, seen here:
20140102_170522_zps1db3a746.jpg

I already have a crank:
_Heq_GeEoeZESMTlNRDaiI-1A6WpkfkaCVUVjn_NkFc_zps50ebcbf1.jpeg

And because of the 1 1/8" steerer tube size, I hope to buy a disc brake compatible fork and front wheel. I have a avid hydraulic disc brake waiting for this thing. It should be fun!

Thanks! I've been looking to build one of these for ages.

So I want a suspension fork for my race mtb seen here:
IB7WPOlnr2YAPTIMB6IKgjSyxmE15P6nUKeR5Mu8_s4_zps8308f9a1.jpeg

So I think I'll use the rigid carbon fiber fork that is on it now for the klunker, and buy a suspension fork for the mountian bike. It is a suspension corrected 100mm 29er fork, so it will be equivalent to a long travel 26" fork. It should slacken the head angle on the klunker pretty well.

Just ordered some 32"(!) wide dirt bike bars from ebay, so that'll be a hoot. now, we wait for the stuff to arrive...

Got the bars, and very quickly put on some grips and a Fusion BMX stem. Still waiting on the frame itself though... This bar setup, however is getting me exited.

LJygj-QkJj0n1NzulyJnnaF8MCE4DNQhcfHVU6F6HdY_zpsad416119.jpeg

Kool bars.. I just bought some blue anno Renthal MC bars for my cruiser myself.. You'll love them bars.!!!

Are those Renthals? I have some red cr-80 style Renthals, and the crossbar looks like that, but the red ano looks different in your pic.

FWIW, I love those bars. I kept the pad for the crossbar, but I don't think I'll run it most of the time...

Are those Renthals? I have some red cr-80 style Renthals, and the crossbar looks like that, but the red ano looks different in your pic.

FWIW, I love those bars. I kept the pad for the crossbar, but I don't think I'll run it most of the time...

Dont know if they're renthals. there was "Renthal" in the title of the ebay listing, but I doubt they actually are. A crossbar pad is definitely going to happen.

The frame should be coming soon though!

Yeah, I just gave my SHD frame away, but I got the Renthals on my Genuine Article 1. Just need some wheels for that one.

You've got a lot of potential here... keep us posted!

What stem are you going to use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ideally, I'm going to buy a S&M redneck stem like this:
photo_3_copy67_blowup.jpg

But for now, the fusion bmx stem will do.

S&M makes some nice stems. I've been diggin' the stems I've got from Profile and Porkchop.... those are made in the USA, too. I think a Profile'd look good with that sprocket you're running....

I chose this stem because my little brother actually has it on his bmx, so hopefully I can buy that off of him for pretty cheap. I dont actually plan on running that sprocket. I need this thing geared waay down if I want to actually ride this on some colorado trails. I have a 25t sprocket that I might use in the front, It also will give me some clearance from the ground.

Things left:
  • seatpost
  • bottom bracket
  • pedals
  • wheels (got a coaster brake hub to lace to a modern mtb rim)
  • seat clamp
  • rear tire
  • handlebar pad

I think thats it...

Back