Schwinn Heavy Duti

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went down to our local Frankenbike swap today and found a Schwinn Heavy Duti for $50 with an extra set wheels. I also bought a Wald front basket for $10 from the same guy. The basket
gu5a9a4u.jpg
yqe8ynu3.jpg
even included a dusting of Sulfur for free. This was a retired Plant bike. I'm really digging this frame!

Those are a cool frame, and very solid. There are quite a few on here that have been turned into Klunkers and Bombers and I don't think anyone has had a frame fail...

Luke.

Started cleaning it all up. Took a wire wheel on my angle grinder to the handle bars, neck, seat post, and seat post clamp. I really like how the wire wheel loosened up the pitted rust on the bars. In some spot the finish looks almost hammered. How do you fix a kick stand that goes past the point to hold the bike up right?
esezedeh.jpg
u2ygane3.jpg
e9abaza3.jpg

That was a great purchase. As Luke mentioned there are a bunch of us here that have built bikes with those frames, myself included. Most of them built here came from ind-chuckz who sells these as frame and fork sets here fairly regularly. Most if not all of his were industrial plant bikes like yours. I have no idea how to fix your kick stand problem but here is a link to a page that shows one method to remove them. The pin is usually the problem with them it seems.

http://www.bunchobikes.com/repair2.htm

This search of the site will likely give you some other methods:

http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?search/507459/&q=schwinn+kickstand&o=date&c[node]=3

That style kickstand in a major pain IMHO. My frame set came without the stand insert and therefore I considering cutting the tube off so I can mount a regular stand.

I found this vid on YT

I haven't tried it yet but he made it look like I could remove it blind folded. Once I have it off I'll look for either broken or excess ware. After doing a bit of research it looks like the kick stand rotates in a pivot cup. I have a feeling that the cup has worn out and it no longer holds the correct position.

Back