Schwinn Hornet: Rusty

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello,
This is my first dive into the skip-tooth era bikes so it should be pretty interesting. I had been looking for a straight bar Schwinn frame for awhile and came across a new local bike shop that only sells used bikes. He had a couple of ballooners but nothing like what I was looking for. I asked him if he had any straight bar frames and he said he had one. He said it was very rusty and the rustiest bike he had ever seen. Ive seen some pretty rusty stuff before so I knew what to expect. A couple of days later he finally was able to bring it into the store so I could look at it. At first sight I knew I had to have this bike! He said he really wanted to build this bike but he could not get the aluminum stem out of the fork. So he stopped where he was and it just sat. He said it was complete with the exception of the rear rack, tank and front fender light. He did not think it ever had a tank on it but signs on the paint show otherwise. I still have to pick up some of the stuff, chaingaurd and some hardware, but im pretty stoked! I dont know which way I want to go with the bike, I think restore is out of the queston with how bad of shape everything is in. So I am open to suggestions. I tried reading the serial number but i will have to clean some of the rust off to be able to read them! I will let the pix do the talking now! Enjoy!

DSC04906.jpg

DSC04908.jpg

DSC04909.jpg

DSC04910.jpg

DSC04912.jpg

From the looks of the frame the tank was taken off after it was brought indoors. I'd press the guy about the tank. Those straight bar tanks are getting scarce and are up around $250 on ebay. It would be worth tracking down if possible. Gary

He seemed to think that this bike would have never come with a tank, but it is pretty obvious. So maybe it didnt have a tank on it when he got it but it definately had a tank on it. It did have a rack on it when he got it because he sold that awhile ago. He said he knows a guy that has thousands of 1960's and earlier bikes for $10 a piece.. Maybe I will try to get ahold of that guy and go get me a couple more!! For right now I am gonna get the rest of the hardware so I have a complete bike and then go from there. The spokes are really weak looking so they will have to be replaced, I was thinking maybe some heavy-duty schwinn tandem spokes.

Back