Schwinn Klunker 5 (rare?) plus a Hollywood

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've made it known before, I don't go nuts over Schwinns. I've got a few, but I didn't go out of my way, I sort of fell into them.

Today I went to pick up a guy from church to give him a ride to his doctor, he's a young guy, early thirties. He had an "ongoing yardsale" in his front yard (you know the type) a table with some knick-knacks on it. In the back of the yard I saw a couple of obviously Scwhinn bikes laying on top of each other. I only took a quick glance, but saw the word "klunker."

Riding down the road I asked if he was selling them, he said he was trying and asked if I bought bikes, I told him "Sometimes." :lol: He asked how much I'd give for them, I told him I was only interested in the men's bike and I could give him $10, he immediately said, "You can have it, make it $15 and you can have both." Deal. I paid the man and came back to pick them up:

When I was about to strap it to the Jeep:
IMG_1292.jpg

At home:
IMG_1296.jpg

Very complete bike:
IMG_1298.jpg

Never had a rear drum brake bike:
IMG_1299.jpg

Here's the Hollywood, missing chain, busted left pedal and the left side of the handlebar is ripped off. :?
IMG_1294.jpg

While I was there I spent my final $3 on these:
IMG_1300.jpg

Re: Schwinn Klunker 5 (plus a Hollywood)

I was searching for some information and found this thread on another forum: http://www.schwinnbikeforum.com/index.php?topic=12494.0

Is this bike really rare?

What am I dealing with?

I was thinking about replacing brake lines and cleaning it up some to ride it. Is it sellable?

Re: Schwinn Klunker 5 (plus a Hollywood)

Great score - sounds like good bike karma, you give the guy a ride, and you score some great bikes :)

I have a Spitfire 5. They also have beefy spokes too. From what I remember when I researched mine, not absurdly valuable, but maybe $200-$300 in good shape. $500-600 in excellent shape. They also use a Schwinn Positron shifter.

I believe this is a bike that is rare, but has yet to become very valuable. I expect that will change 10-20 years from now.

Don't change anything; just clean it, repack it, and wait....

yoothgeye said:
Here's the Hollywood, missing chain, busted left pedal and the left side of the handlebar is ripped off. :?
IMG_1294.jpg

Nice, looks almost identical to the '68 Hollywood I fixed up for my fiance for Christmas of 2011.

Before
P8020027.jpg

After
P8050001.jpg

If you part it down I may be interested in the chain guard and seat. :wink:

That Klunker is nice! Love the drum break back hub it's running. I believe the Klunker is the same bike as a different model (can't remember which one) they just changed the name to fit the klunker kraze from the 70's and ended changing it back to whatever it used to be. So the name is rare, yes. I'd agree around the $300 mark cleaned up riding. Might be more collectible down the road. Sweet piece though

From what I understand it went: Klunker5, Spitfire5, Cruiser5

I put air in the original tubes and tires today and they held up for me to "ride" it, although due to the rusty chain I couldn't pedal. Brake cables are seized, but the positron shifts fine, wow!

Word around the campfire is that Schwinn had to change the name after a lawsuit from Gary Fisher. Some of the real klunker historians may be able to confirm that story. I agree it will soon increase in value. If I had the money, I would totally be making an offer on that thing. Once you clean it up and ride it, you may never want to sell it. Cool bike for sure. Enjoy.

Comments like the one above make me happy.

Maybe I should pose a photo with my Klunker5 laying on the groung and my Gary Fisher parked on top.

Latest posts

Back