Schwinn ladies ballooner

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0

picked a load of bikes this week,actually two truckloads full. 29 total, mostly lightweights. had the seller and my dad load and unload em, since I'm still recovering from apendix surgery ( but you can't keep a good bike hunter down, lol )

One included, was this Schwinn - my first balloon tire Schwinn,

someone went happy with house paint on it .. sigh.... serial is K5463.. looks like I missed the last digit when writing it down, but looks to be July 53 .

Not sure the model, Meteor maybe ? experts please chime in :) .. does have the truss rod bracket, but would say they removed the truss rods to make the Wald basket fit.
Fenders are pretty straight, if house painted over a few coats. painted S2 rims in good shape, has a Bendix hub, so not sure - should this have New Departure ? it's also non skiptooth, so unsure how original
Plans undecided, really thinking a restoration / semi rat-resto, due to being my first Schwinn Ballooner, but might just part her out..
I htink the seat is original, not sure on the Schwinn script grips, any input on originality or what model, is appreciated. thanks.

I'd rat it out. Ive got only a couple girl schwinn bikes left only beacause they were excelent origionals. The rest became parts bikes or chopped up. Theres a few guys doing boy conversions on them- not factory correct but remove the top girls tube and weld in two uper bars with your desired curve. Thats my two cents. Either way good find.

Probably a D37X. Or, just DX for short. One of the most common old Schwinns. Find a boys Schwinn frame and do a swap. That's what I'd do. :wink: Gary

Back