Schwinn LeTour info? Cleaned up 6/24 :)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
as many of you probably know by now im hunting for a good commute to work bike and have been searching for awhile now, found this on ebay tonight and its close enough for me to go pickup so was wondering what everyone thinks....... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0368368448 .....I know the letours are typically around 25lbs so plenty light and the frame is big enough for me but I dont know much about this specific year model. Anyone know where it was made or anymore information about it? the only other ones I could find had the shifters on the downtube and from the decals I cant tell if this one would be a newer model or what. THANKS!!!

Re: Schwinn LeTour info?

Looks like a good find for $100. I'm not an expert, but I had two World Sports pass through my garage in the last year, and I'm pretty sure they were from the same era (early 80s.) I believe the one you're considering is Taiwanese, and made by Giant. It's a good quality bike despite the hi-ten tubing.

Fwiw, you shouldn't overlook bikes with shifters on the down tube, that's often a sign of a quality machine (stem mounted shifters are usually seen on low end bikes.)

yeah I actually would prefer the shifters on the downtube...was just saying that this one was different and didnt know if it ment it was an earlier or later model....I generally only ride in one gear so im not shifting often and visually thing the shifters on the downtube look much better without all of the cables running everywhere...nice and clean in a line.

I found the pics of the pair I flipped for a friend (the saddle position on the men's is awful, I know...)
WSport01.jpg

ws01.jpg

I bought my Le Tour Dec 12, 1981 brand new $213.15. Still have the sales reciept :D it had those squishey pad things on the handle bars that fell apart after about a 1000 miles on it. Other than that the bike has been flawless i still have it. It was made in Japan for Schwinn Chicago and the shifters are mounted on the stem, i think its just more comfortable there. Now my son rides it still a verry fast bike. Mine is silver with the chrome on the bottom of the forks.

Thanks for the info guys...really glad to hear it was made in japan and not taiwan...waiting on hearing back from the seller if there is a charge for pickup so I can go grab it today based on your help :)

Can I have it? :D

Bought it and picked it up...looks almost exactly like the one you rebuilt except for chrome forks. I am really thinking about converting it to singlespeed...I like to coast so probably wont go full fixie...maybe flip flop....but after riding around town the past few nights I found a gear I really liked and have left it there ever since. Will start a build thread soon :)

Thanks again for everyones help :)

Good deal, glad you found a nice classic! Be sure to post some pictures when you get a chance...

Back