Schwinn models in 58

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I recently bought a Schwinn that the prev owner had built up from different bikes. The serial number traces it back to 1958. Is there any way to know what model is was when new? If so, I would like to return it to what it started out as. Any help would be appreciated.
Here's what I got so far:
Sprocket is wrong. I think I need the one with 4 circles??
Wheels may be wrong, although chrome was used on better models??
Fenders painted or chrome?
Chain guard type??

IMG00160-20110120-2003.jpg

Your right about the wheels and sprocket being changed out. It could be a Speedster, Hornet, or Tiger, American, or Wasp, going by the fenders, which look like they are Schwinn and have the original paint. The frame and forks should be the same color red under the repaint. Here's the catalogs from 58. The others had chrome fenders or springers. The original chainguard would be the only way to know for sure.

http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1951 ... ndex1.html

At this point, you could take your pick and "return it" to any of those models you choose seeing as the frame, fork and fenders were common between them. Pick your favorite finish and accessorize it accordingly.

Frankly, based on the components that somebody swapped on there in the past, I'd say you got the long end of the stick. Those drop center are really nice (and unless they're Schwinn S-2's, I prefer drop-centers over anything else really), the fenders look great, and the seat is REALLY nice. Those components were all better than what Schwinn was using on many of the '58 models.

Maybe you'll change your mind after seeing a pic of a '58 Schwinn I've got, food for thought anyway.........

IMAG0198.jpg

Tailwinds said:
Maybe you'll change your mind after seeing a pic of a '58 Schwinn I've got, food for thought anyway.........

Looks like a '58 Jag? That was the second year for the middleweight Jag and woulda had S-7's. I like the Jaguar series, Mark II's being my favorite. I have a complete original '57 and a '58 that was too far gone to worry about originality.
57.jpg

58MarkII.jpg

Another advantage to those rims you have is the availability of tires for them. There will be a lot more to choose from instead of the Schwinn tires. 26 x 1.75 and possibly wider widths will fit those rims.

OK, thanks gents. I will prob go half way to orginial as ya'lls comments have stated. I'll keep the wheels cause of the Schwinn weird tire issue. I have some Chrome Wald fenders, but the painted ones on it are pretty nice so.... who knows? I've got a headbadge coming in the mail. I am mainly on the look out for the correct sprocket and a chain guard cause that jumps out at me every time I look at it.
Thanks.

Oak, not sure what model it is but it's really cool with the painted fenders. Tailwinds, like the bike and the seat post decal is a Jaguar item.

Latest posts

Back