Schwinn Phantom: Updated picture

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone know how to get a broken key out of a lock? Noticed that the key is broken off in the fork and I can't get it out of there. Tried a scroll saw blade/tweezers but it seems to need to be wiggled to get out wich I can't do with this methods. Anyone?

No parting out for this baby. I might sell it complete like it sits but only if it's picked up in eastern PA. Really think I want to keep this and sell some other bikes so the wifey doesn't get mad. :roll:

The key won't come out of the lock unless it is in the locked position. To repair it, you have to take it all the way apart, remove the tumbler, and then remove the key. You can get a new key probably, or a new tumbler and key for sure. Gary

Euphman06 said:
H0796 is the serial number. I think that makes it a 1953 but does anyone want to confirm that for me?

Was the number on the bottom bracket or rear dropout?

Wow, the before and after are impressive. I think if the seller had cleaned it you would not have thought twice about the price. Good buy, now put a seat on it and ride.

You do anything special to clean it? I just picked up a phantom but i havent scrubbed it up yet looks like mine has a bit more rust coming thru the paint

I used polishing compoud, really brings out that old Schwinn paint and helps cut through some rust. You migth want to try something more aggresive like rubbing compound to get the rust a little more, not sure how the paint will react though. Chrome parts I used Barkeepers Friend to clean up after I got the spray paint off. Oh... I did wipe it down with a mix of Dawn detergent and water first to get the dirt off.

Latest posts

Back