Schwinn question....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok, we all know that Schwinn is pretty much just a name now, made overseas, and they are dept store bikes. But why do some bike shops still sell Schwinn bikes? Are they all the same, or are there different Schwinns still made for sale at bike shops? I've seen some nice cruisers at a few LBS's in town, and they aren't exactly cheap. So what gives?

From what I understand - there is a quality difference (components, etc.) between the discount store Schwinns and the bike shop Schwinns... I don't believe you could find the same model "names" between the different sellers.

Triggerfish said:
From what I understand - there is a quality difference (components, etc.) between the discount store Schwinns and the bike shop Schwinns... I don't believe you could find the same model "names" between the different sellers.

Triggerfish is correct...two different animals.

yup, 2 different things, they may have the same frame but thats about it. the walmart stuff has lower quality stuff like fenders, racks, seats, wheels, cranks, sprockets, shifters and so on. not BAD bikes, but your better off spendin your money at the bike shop in my opinion.

I've got some unicycles "made" by Torker. That is, they have the Torker name on them, and came in a Torker box. But when you look at two different models of them, they are completely different in every way. What probably happens is that Torker is just a sales outfit, and is buying unicycles from totally different suppliers in China, each of which has their own standard unicycle.

I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing doesn't happen with Schwinn. You might check the model names as suggested above, or if they both have the same model name, check the details out.

they are different some models are similar but they are still totally unique. we sell them at college cyclery because people recognize the name and other than felt they make a very nice cruiser and in my opinion are the only ones that somewhat feel like ridding an old bike. oh yes and i dont know if any of you have seen the 09 models yet but let me tell you i am very excited especially about the deluxe 7.

Thanks, I had a feeling somethng was different about them. They still make some nice looking bikes, but to me it's not the same as an OG Chicago Schwinn. I do have a 5 speed import, I'm guessing 90's and it does have a sticker from a bike shop on it, and I like it. It's decent, has beefy spokes and a steel (!) ring behind the gearset on the back wheel.

i sell alot of em in our shop an yes they are different then the box stores. we have a few roadies that are super lite which i am glad to see as they have been heavy. so yep, they are different an if ya want one go to a lbs, you'll get a better bike

Outlaw :mrgreen:

Back