Schwinn Reverse Tricycle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some time back, I saw a Schwinn reverse tricycle on Ebay. And I've seen one in a book at the library. Only, googling on line, and looking at the library, I can't find any mention of one. Did I dream this?

The trike in question had two front wheels that steered separately (unlike the big swivel thingy on Worksman or Husky trikes). There was a crossbar where the fork would be, then a fork at either end, with a linkage connecting them to the handlebars. The one on Ebay went pretty cheap, so they must not be too rare. Seems like they were from the 60's.

If anyone can tell me what that was called, or find an online picture of it, I would appreciate it.

I tried posting at the Schwinn collector forum, and no luck there.

Thanks!

I tried the google thing also, with little luck finding the design you mentioned, until I dropped the word "schwinn" from the search; then I came across this page.
http://www.cyclingforall.org/cycles/index.htm
Maybe what you seek is there, and it wasn't a schwinn?
Hope that helps,
Rick

I dont know that they are common here but they are all over Mexico... People use them to haul grocery's, sell junk out of and all kinds of stuff... I saw hundreds of them on my trip

The common brand in Mexico is Mercurio, and those are imported into the US under the Husky name. Google "Husky Tricycle" and you'll get their website. But that's not that similar to the one I'm thinking of.

I'd like to have one of the Mercurios, but haven't seen one for sale cheap enough. There was one for $250 or so a few months back, but it was old and rusty, and there was on the Houston Craigslist just a couple of weeks ago.

Well they had those there too... But I just was there for 10 days and I tell ya there where bunches of schwinn's as well. They used the late model heavy duty with an extended fork tube

You've got me curious now. Trying to google up a Schwinn reverse cargo trike, I'm really not getting anything.

Go to Google Image Search and put in "triciclo de carga" and you get some interesting pictures. Might have to set search options for "any language" if you don't already have it like that.

One thing I notice is that there's several manufacturers of these. Also, the Mercurio ones use a slightly different bike frame from what is on the current Husky site.

Seems like someone here mentioned about these things being home-made, too, and a modern Schwinn Heavy Duty would be a good starting point for that.

Yeah I dont buy the home made bit just because I saw dozens of them and they all looked Identical. I visited a couple of bike shops down there and didnt see a new Schwinn but did see a new Mercurio in one. It could be that its been some time since Schwinn produced them.... And I agree... I have not been able to scout any info or even a picture on Google..

Mmmmm.... So where do you suppose all those Schwinn reverse tricycles came from then? You think some outfit manufactured them from Heavy Duty bikes? I wish now I would have snapped a few pictures..... Kinda like bigfoot or the lockness monster.... I SAW It... IT wAS right over there.... REally!!

MonsterMetal said:
Mmmmm.... So where do you suppose all those Schwinn reverse tricycles came from then? You think some outfit manufactured them from Heavy Duty bikes? I wish now I would have snapped a few pictures..... Kinda like bigfoot or the lockness monster.... I SAW It... IT wAS right over there.... REally!!

Unless it was newly made by Schwinn in Asia in the last few years. There aren't any from the dark ages...40's-70's, I'd have seen one by now. I've never kept up on the new stuff so maybe they're out there. Gary

i might have a lead for you.

says here (1/4 way down the page) that the gentleman is riding a 1987 schwinn deluxe ice cream delivery. (in the phillipens)

unfortunatly theres not a good pic of the trike.

http://www.gw-movie.com/word/

Back