Schwinn S-7 wheel Question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took apart my little Schwinn Tornado, and the (original) tires on it are Schwinn Tractor 1 x 1 3/4 in. with "To be used with Tubular S-7 wheel" on them. So, I'm assuming the wheels must be tubular S-7's. Will I be able to get whitewall tires for these wheels? Eventually, I'd like to put a 20 x 2.125 (or bigger) white wall , maybe even a slick, on the back and a smaller width one on the front. The wheels are in excellent shape, really nice chrome, so I'd like to use them, but can I? What brands of tires will fit these wheels?

My plan is, when I'm financially able, to put a banana seat, ape hanger bars and a springer fork on it to make it rideable. Nothing re-chromed or powder coated this time. I'd lke to go for a rat version of a Sting Ray or Krate, since the basic frame is the same as a non-fastback Sting Ray.

Re: Schwinn wheel/tire question

they do make whitewall s-7s but i havent found any that are cheap, they dont make the schwinn repop tires anymore so theyre priced crazy, kenda may make some but ive never ran across any, best bet is to find a nos pair of offbrand s-7 tires.

s-7s only come in 1-3/4
if you want a 2.125 tire id go ahead and get a standard size wheelset first

the tornado frame is narrower in the rear stays than a normal stingray (the tornado is the same as a stingray junior or 20" typhoon frame), a 2.125 will fit but balloon fenders will have to be notched or bent to fit the frame. middleweight fenders will work. or fenders of a stingray junior/fairlady/little chic/typhoon/hollywood would work without having to modify them.

Re: Schwinn wheel/tire question

CCR said:
they do make whitewall s-7s but i havent found any that are cheap, they dont make the schwinn repop tires anymore so theyre priced crazy, kenda may make some but ive never ran across any, best bet is to find a nos pair of offbrand s-7 tires.

s-7s only come in 1-3/4
if you want a 2.125 tire id go ahead and get a standard size wheelset first

the tornado frame is narrower in the rear stays than a normal stingray (the tornado is the same as a stingray junior or 20" typhoon frame), a 2.125 will fit but balloon fenders will have to be notched or bent to fit the frame. middleweight fenders will work. or fenders of a stingray junior/fairlady/little chic/typhoon/hollywood would work without having to modify them.

I'm not going to bother with fenders on this bike, so that isn't an issue. I was doing a bit of research via google about the S-7's which confirms your verdict, that I would be better off getting replacement wheels from the bike shop. So that's settled. Another question then...Since I'm NOT concerned with fenders, how fat of a tire will my little Tornado rear stays accomodate, without modification? If not 3 in., can I get a 2.125 in. white wall slick?

Guess I need to make a new post in the For Sale section.

check this bike out (one of my top fav's) its a typhoon frame and im pretty sure thats a 2.125 on the rear of it.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16966&p=172297#p172297

i do know that theres a cheap 20" whitewall slik made by "Duro" that some say is the same dimension as a 20x1.75 even though the tire is stamped 20x2.125, but ive never had one of those tires.

CCR said:
check this bike out (one of my top fav's) its a typhoon frame and im pretty sure thats a 2.125 on the rear of it.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16966&p=172297#p172297

i do know that theres a cheap 20" whitewall slik made by "Duro" that some say is the same dimension as a 20x1.75 even though the tire is stamped 20x2.125, but ive never had one of those tires.

So that's the same frame as I have? Pretty cool. Also, while my frame isn't the exact one, it's the same KIND of bike that was my first new bicycle as a kid, much like that fellow's Typhoon was to him. I might have to go with a rear fender after all, looking at that bike. Extended fork, that's an idea I hadn't thought of. Probably cheaper than a springer, though I guess I could get a 24 in. springer and have the same effect.

I've got a '67 20" Fleet that I converted into a Sting-Ray. The 20 X 2.125 wheel and Sting-Ray fender fit just fine. I think the Fleet started life as a middleweight. Gary

Back