Schwinn Saturday

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The first uglu duck came from a local tag sale. The guy was trying hard to sell me some overly priced cheapo road bikes when I asked about cruisers. He said he built one a while back and came out with this ugly Franken bike. Upon further inspection it's a 1950 Schwinn still with the truss rods and skip tooth. The chain is missing links as the rear wheel is barely in the drop out, it has rusted S-2s with a Morrow rear hub that is probably older than 1959, kiddie pedals ,light weight fenders and some of the ugliest reflectors glued on it. He also found the Schwinn chain guard also horribly rattle canned gold. It was saying "please help me!" So I bought it hopefully I can turn it back into a pround Schwinn. I paid 50 bucks which may be too high but I figured the frame was probably worth it.
sch1.jpg

sch2.jpg

sch3.jpg

schhub.jpg

Next is a late Schwinn Collegiate 3 speed coaster brake. It was on Craigslist for FREE as the owner had another baby and needed the room. Free Schwinns even female bikes are rare as hen's teeth on CL here in NYC. A quick clean and it will be the wife's summer ride.
collegiate.jpg

Great score! Personally I'd spray some black over the tan color then sand it out to give it a patina'ed look, re-do the head badge and truss rods, loose the reflectors, and call it a rat.

Or do a test spot with some paint remover and see if the original paint is under it. Might have preserved the original color. I have one that had like 8 re-sprays on it but the original paint (after a week of careful paint removal) came out wonderful.

The other one you can't beat free. Nice Messenger wide seat too. Very comfortable. I have 3 of them.

Yeah, the old thumbnail scratch reveals that it's maroon with white stripes. The original paint is lurking underneath, It may take days of work to try to "unearth" it. I might try the Easyoff oven clean trick on the gold paint.

You really did good. Congrads! I sold a blue schwinn just like that, only single speed for $150.00 once. Good buys!

Both great finds :)

Picked a red 5 speed collegiate this week myself, been through the floods we had back in the fall, but should clean up.

Let me know if you wanna sell those kids pedals, look like the ones on my Huffy I have.

Back