Schwinn Seat Posts vs Non Schwinn Saddles

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to do a search for this but I came up with nothing.
I want a brown saddle for my 73 Schwinn Collegiate but the seat post is causing me issues, the end tappers so it's far to thin for a new saddle there and I don't think recovering/cutting new foam will really make it more comfortable.
I tried out the Bell Cruzin brown saddle they sell at Walmart and it seems pretty ideal for it's price range (haha heck NO can I afford a sprung leather saddle!)
But when I flipped my seat post so the saddle could fit I still couldn't get it tight enough. Try as I might I can still twist the saddle back and forth! I'm going to take a longer ride tomorrow to see if it really causes that much of a problem.
So what have other people done to replace a schwinn saddle? Would recovering it really make it suitable as a commuter saddle? Does anyone know of another good brown saddle that will fit the post?
Thanks in advance!

When using a 13/16" post, you must use the correct size clamp, which also comes in different widths for different styles of undercarriage. Even the large end is smaller than a current common seat mount, although i suppose though some might work. If you took a seat off it, it should have a clamp. You can also have issues with clamps becoming deformed and bolts stretching, you may be running out of thread before getting it tight. Try adding some thick washers. Some clamps have little tabs designed to reduce the chances of bending from bolt torque, they can be slightly tweaked to gain a little purchase.

Thanks guys! I ended up flipping the post. The saddle still twists if I knock it too hard, but I've probably ridden close to 30 miles on it now and it doesn't make me uncomfortable or potentially cause a problem, so I should be fine for the time being.
I'm a bit confused by how to take the clamp off and put it on a different saddle so I'm going to try it with some old saddles lying around.
And thanks for the link with the wald post Deorman! If I can't figure out the claps that looks like my best bet. :)

i had the same problem on a schwinn tandem i built. it was frustrating eventualy i got fed up with it and cut shims from sheet metal and got it to fit between the seat clamp and the seat tube... may not be the best way to fix it but it made it so i could get it just tight enough. granted if you really try and turn the seat it will turn..... just not as bad as before :D other than that if you can use the old schwin clamp that would be best.

As long as the grooves mate up between the new seat's clamp and the old Schwinn's clamp (just the part that goes over the stem) it will hold. I've changed out many seat clamps, sometimes the bolt won't slide through or the grooves (teeth) are very different. Seat frames are different also, so usually you have to use all the original seat's parts, except for the center piece.

Back