Schwinn Stingray 68

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had purchased the below Schwinn at the self proclaimed "Mother of All Garage Sales" last year. I don't know much about bikes other than I can ride it and I like it. I also know this is a Stingray, I believe Campus Green and made in September of 1968. I can also see that right away the seat isn't original, but beyond that I'm at a loss. After reading up it seams I can go two ways, restore it to original or make it my own, which I'm still contemplating, but I would like to still get the original fenders, seat, badge, and anything else I'm missing. What I need is any advice, what bike this exactly it is, what parts I need (maybe you have something to sell?), or anything else. In the mean time I'm going to keep reading up around these forums. Thank you in advance for any help.

5172012.jpg

It looks to me like it was a standard J-38 StingRay when new. Probably no fenders and black wall tires. The springer and white walls are aftermarket, at least the front one. Back one might be a ww StingRay knobby. In 1968 your J-38 cost $53.95. $65.95 with the optional 2-speed kickback. Gary

Thanks Gary. So I need a new handle bar stem, front fork and seat so far...

I'm surprised about the fenders. I guess I won't need to get any unless I want to make this bike my own.

Latest posts

Back