Schwinn Stingray at the LBS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I saw this at my LBS the other day,I never noticed that they had the smooth weld joints like the old ones. Looks pretty close except the crappy grips and the new "Fuzzy" chrome ! Check out the head badge it still says "Chicago" Maybe old news but I just dont see these around my neck of the woods !

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

(my guess) Because the headbadge is a Schwinn trademark just like it is. Pacific Bicycles bought them out. As long as PB puts the actual manufacturing origin on the bike (I'm surprised they put it on the head tube) they can use the trademarked badge.

This bike is one of the Schwinn Select series of Stingrays that were reissued starting in 1998 with the Orange Krate.

These were "bike shop" bikes, not Walmart or Target Schwinns. The price is fair for what appears to be an un-ridden example.

They also did Coppertone Stingrays, Apple Krates, and a Grey Ghost up through 2005/2006. Some of the frames are better detailed than others- the first few years got these nicely faked frames with the trademark smooth curves. They have a lot of filler pieces in there from what I have been told. I never stripped one down.

In 2007 there was a release at Walmart of the "Black Friday Krate", which were Chinese built Schwinns with (very) cheap components. They were also only $88 new out the door in a box... made in blue-purple, green, and black. Last year, the bike shops got a new line of fluorescent painted Lemon Peelers, Orange Krates, and Grey Ghosts. They seem cheap and not worth the $300-400 being asked.

Have fun!
--Rob

Robs spot on, 3 years ago I watched 2 of these bikes on ebay still in the box go for $900ish each. I think there was something odd about these though, like they made it to the distributors for dealers but were in limited numbers and didnt sell well enough for schwinn to make more of them. I remember paying $250 for a new purple Stingray from my lbs, he also had a coppertone reissue for $300 I went back for but some else had already bought it by then.

NLCTVWguy said:
This bike is one of the Schwinn Select series of Stingrays that were reissued starting in 1998 with the Orange Krate.

These were "bike shop" bikes, not Walmart or Target Schwinns. The price is fair for what appears to be an un-ridden example.

They also did Coppertone Stingrays, Apple Krates, and a Grey Ghost up through 2005/2006. Some of the frames are better detailed than others- the first few years got these nicely faked frames with the trademark smooth curves. They have a lot of filler pieces in there from what I have been told. I never stripped one down.

In 2007 there was a release at Walmart of the "Black Friday Krate", which were Chinese built Schwinns with (very) cheap components. They were also only $88 new out the door in a box... made in blue-purple, green, and black. Last year, the bike shops got a new line of fluorescent painted Lemon Peelers, Orange Krates, and Grey Ghosts. They seem cheap and not worth the $300-400 being asked.

Have fun!
--Rob

I remember seeing orange and apple krates in 1998. My LBS had 2 of them on display along with repro seats, grips, forks etc. They were taking pre-orders on both apple and orange krates.

Is it just me, or is the fork some kind of not right? It looks they tried to reproduce the forged flat blade fork with a formed tubing section. It kinda has a flat blade look, but the shape and proportion seems way off...

expjawa said:
Is it just me, or is the fork some kind of not right? It looks they tried to reproduce the forged flat blade fork with a formed tubing section. It kinda has a flat blade look, but the shape and proportion seems way off...

Your spot on, they aren't cast. flattened, stamped and formed tube metal.

kinda heartwarming that the tradition is still pushing through the new era :)

I found a coppertone one for sale at my LBS several years ago. I almost bought it. Ended up buying a dyno glide instead. Kinda glad I did. I bought a BFK but ended up selling it. I decided to concentrate on original ones.

One of the larger LBS's here has several hanging from the ceiling. I want to say that there are three of them, at least one is a Stingray and another is a Krate. But I don't recall beyond that. I'm sure if they are for sale or not, considering that they're probably 10 feet above my head...

Latest posts

Back