Schwinn Stingray rear wheel hub (1st post on forum)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellas and fel-lasses. First post here, be gentle.

I've got a bit of a project going over on another forum (but I am of course happy to share it here) but before I copy all that over, can anyone tell me how (or indeed, if) I can run 2 'fatboy' tyres/wheels side-by-side and drive them?

I'll run up my build thread in a minute and paste a link below.

Hi Luke and thanks for replying, I realise my original post/question is a bit void of information now.

If you check out the build thread, you'll see I have a converted trike project to be engine powered. What I'm trying to do is work out if I should power just one (easy) wheel or both (hard) - possibly using a differential. So my first question to nail that, I guess, should be:

"Can I remove the freewheel 'hub' from the standard wheels and fit these wheels to one axle that is fitted with a diff? If so, how easy is it?"

I haven't investigated the current setup myself yet, picked it up yesterday.

If you run one freewheel on each wheel and drive them both from the motor it will work like a Detroit Locker, with the drive always going to the slowest wheel and the other wheel able to freewheel faster.

You will need some sort of jackshaft to run the motor to, and then have two sprockets coming off it running back to the wheels.

The alternative would be to buy a trike kit and lace it to your wheels, but most trike kits only drive one side.

I am currently building a Detroit Locker style diff for my Muscle Bike Build-Off trike using the two freewheel method, but I have added some extra complications by mounting the whole thing inside a 'pumpkin' with two disc brakes too...

2016-09-07 16.01.05.jpg
2016-09-08 14.17.51.jpg
2016-09-08 14.18.55.jpg

There is no need to go to that extent though, you could make a much simpler version just using a jackshaft with sprockets that line up with the freewheels on the hubs you already have, then if you drive the shaft with the motor you will have the same result:

trike motor shaft.jpg

Hopefully I explained that properly, my mind has been all about trike drivetrains for the last few months in the lead up to the build-off, so what makes sense to me may not make sense to others at the moment...

Let me know if I can help in any way, I will check in tomorrow, (4am here in Aust! Time for bed.) if you have any questions.

Luke.

Well was going pop in but.. Luke got ya covered ;)
Please do share any ideas, I know mine are usually rather involved and sometimes I miss the easy solutions, or even invent solutions to problems that don't actually exist in real life.

Maybe someone could chime in with how well trikes work only driving one wheel? Anyone motorised a trike before?

Luke.

If motorized I'd keep it single drive for many reasons. Mainly to reduce parts and complexity. Dual with no diff will understeer and spin rate issues. I think the mass produced trike rears ran live axles to reduce bearing costs. There is no advantage but requiring 2 less bearings.
I like lukes jackshaft approach it also allows independent rear suspension if want go crazy.

Thank you both for your replies, really helped me think it through.

While I do like the end result that Lukes jackshaft arrangement would give (almost industrial) but my Daughter will probably end up having a go on it at some point so my aim is to try and keep everything 'motorised' between the wheels - so I think it'll end up being the rear left wheel in the pic being driven as that's where the freewheel cog is. I need to look at how to attach the smaller toothed drive cog from the go-kart (I think it may actually be mini-moto) to it - do you think a drill and tap of the existing cog would be sufficient and offer enough strength?

Last edited:
There are all sorts of hub to motorized sprockets mounts available online. Drive will generally be on the left of the motor.... I don't see the room to tap a rear cog for hardware to handle mutch torque. Being so popular I'd think looking into China girl drive parts for some close to off the shelf solutions.

Well, a Google search for 'china girl drive parts' brings up some VERY interesting and disturbing results!

Drive is indeed on the left of the motor so should line up quite well with whatever sprocket adapter I find. I asked about the drill/tap because I have 2 different size drive sprockets in the box of cra... er... bits that came with the motor.

Glad we could help you make a decision!
If you just look on eBay at motorised bike parts, there will be a sprocket there that will work, you wont need a freewheel anymore as I am guessing that motor has a centrifugal clutch anyway.

Luke.

Cheers Luke (and of course pholTmonx) - made a good leap in

I've woken feeling that I may use this first for the soapbox and bin the scooter idea off (or at least re-engineer that thought) then add the motor to this later (and by later, I mean next summer) - the trike has everything for the soapbox there and just needs dressing up.

So this might become a very slow thread for a while!

Back