Schwinn "sweetheart sprocket" question.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did schwinn ever make the "sweetheart sprocket" for 20" bikes aswell and did they make more than one style? Did any other company ever make a "sweetheart sprocket" that looks like the schwinn version?
Thanks.

As far as I know, no on made one like that. Schwinn used a skip tooth version of the stingray lucky 7. Most others had a simple star style. -Adam

John c said:
CCR said:
the early 2000 years schwinns with 4 speeds had a 36t sweetheart sprocket
But not a skip tooth right? Thanks for the info!

not with 36 teeth :mrgreen: that would make one big skiptooth sprocket if so :lol:

skiptooth stuff got fazed out in the 50s, anything newer than that will be your standard 1/2" pitch, i guess schwinn could have made a kids skiptooth bike back in the day with the sweetheart design but idont know of one.

ive got a 2001 and a 2004 schwinn cruiser 4 and both have a 36t sweetheart sprocket on them, they had a nexus 4 internal rear hub (now discontinued), i dont know if they kept using the same sprocket for the 3 speeds that replaced the 4's, but im pretty sure someone around here may have one if you ask, i dont have one to spare at the moment though.

A bit late to the topic, but Schwinn used the 36T version at least through 2010 on bikes with the Nexus-7 hub. My '09 Classic 7 Deluxe has one. Actually, that's how I found this topic. I was looking to find the larger size to put on the bike (with appropriate cog change as well) since the 36T sprocket looks oddly tiny on a 'Phantom-style' bike. See:

657_427_1201_3652.jpg

As it is, even for a heavy bike, the combination of 36T and 3 low gears in the hub make it so that it's geared way shorter than it needs to be. I live on a 10% grade, and even for that, the gearing is short.

How many teeth are on the full-size sweetheart sprocket?

There has to be a cheaply made in "china" version of the real deal MADE IN AMERICA rip-off copy out there somewhere.

Ya get what ya pay for.

If it rust's and fails before your very eyes...

Our Schwinn Tango tandem (mid 90's I'd guess) has the same 36t sweetheart on the front cranks as is on that repop.. :roll:

33%20Schwinn%20Tango%20Tandem%20-%20White&Red.jpg

From my research Hawthorne was the first to come out with the sweetheart skiptooth sprocket as early as 1911. Schwinn copied it sometime after that and used it through the 50's. I'm pretty sure a couple of other brands used it too...Elgin used a 22t version on late 30's girls bikes. Shelby had a version too, I think... but not sure. Gary

Accck, can't find the info on the interwebs right now but you're correct B607, there were a few mfgs. using the "sweetheart" design. Although they look quite similar, one of the tell tales is those teardrop cutouts near the center of the chainring between the hearts. The Schwinns use a narrow teardrop whereas another mfg. has teardrops that are quite noticeably wider.

Schwinn (1940s)
schwinn.th.jpg

Another Schwinn (1940s)
schwinn2.th.jpg

Hawthorne (1890s)
hawthorne.th.jpg

Unknown (1900s)
unknown22.th.jpg

All images from the Chainring Tattoo Project

A Huffman from Classic Bicycle Fanatics
35c4h6r.jpg

Evans from corysmeltzer here on RRB