Schwinn Tourist Hybrid opinions?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was at Target tonight with a friend, and I saw this bike again. I don't know, something about it just turns me on. I've seen it many times at multiple Targets, but didn't pay much attention to it because I didn't have the time to give it a good check out.

This time I rode it up and down the aisle, flat tires and all just to get a feel for it. I liked the way things were.

It's a 24 speed, shimano gear shift stuff, and as suntour 3 piece crank. I don't know what the rims were, but they've got a lot less spokes in them than a regular rim.

I think the asking price was around $250, which is pretty high (I thought) for a department store bike, but there's just something about it that makes me want to buy one.

Anyone have any experience with this or similar bikes? I don't know how serious I am; I guess that will depend on what my research tells me.

here's an on the shelf pic of the bike:

Image09032010211258.jpg

Whatcha think?

It's a nice looking bike. Don't like aluminum frames, though.

I've been doing some review reading, and one reviewer mentioned something about blowing out a tube. He said his LBS had to special order the tubes, and he mentioned something about getting a schrader to presta valve adaptor so he could get tubes easier or something like that? I like the looks of the bike a lot, and I think they actually quit making them a little while ago, so what's in the stores are what there is.

Overall this bike got good scores for being a good entry level road bike; being smooth, fast, and light enough. Of course the people who gave it good reviews had it tuned up like should be done with any bike you would buy at a department store, but the people who didn't had nothing good to say.

The adapter is a simple threaded collar that allows you to use common Schrader pumps on Presta valves, any decent shop should have them for a couple dollars max. When using Presta valves on Schrader capable rims, be sure to use securing nuts on the valve stem to prevent shifting of the stem.

by the time you pay to have a target bike tuned up you could probably have bought a similar bike from a lbs- complete with their follow up service. spec-wise those are very similar to the lower end diamondbacks for example.

if you do buy one.... it's silly to complicate things by swapping to presta tubes w/an adapter, that comes from shops trying to get by with what they have in stock. if you can't find the long stem tubes just get a package of shraeder extenders from the auto parts store. ignore the "28" inch designation on the wheel sign- they use conventional 700c tires and tubes. i don't know what marketing genius came up with that gem but it's been confusing the heck out of customers (and an embarrassing number of shop employees :roll: ) for a couple years now....

and yes, those wheels are junk..... :wink:

In all reality, I don't think I'm gonna buy a new bike any time soon. It was just something that caught my eye, and if anyone had anything awesome to say about it, I might have seriously considered it. At this time, I don't really feel like dropping $250 on a bike.

Thanks for all your input! :)

The main thing is, if you like it, and you want it, then buy it. A friend of mine who kept coming over and helping me piddle around with bikes in the garage went and bought a La Jolla from Wally World. Likes how it rides but wanted to make it his own. So he added some things, and now has some money wrapped up in it, but by golly that thing rides SWEEEEEEET! One of the most comfortable bikes I've ever ridden!

yeah, I've always had that philosophy of If I like it and I want it, buy it. But I don't think now is the time for it. I know I could make it my own, which I would, and it's got some decent components on it. For what I would use it for I'm sure it would be fine, I just have a couple other bikes that pretty much do the same thing, and they were free and have a little more character. I really need to downsize my fleet before I start getting more bikes, you guys know how it goes... :p

The bike does not require special tubes - they are 700x19-26 tubes. You can get them at any local bike shop in Schrader or Presta. I recommend Presta and since they are aero wheels you need to at least get 48mm stems. Performance has them on sale now for about $3.99. I set out to buy the Trail Way till I saw this right beside it. I wanted a second beater bike and was surprised when I saw this thing at target next to the Trail Way. I have been looking for the sub $300 bike for riding at parks with mix pavement and double track trails. This saved me some time and money from converting my Cannondale R600 with Campy equip and so this bike filled the bill without spending alot of cash.

I purchased bike today 9/12/2010 and replaced the tires with Perfomance Forte trail tires (700x32c) Gotham tires($15 bucks a piece). They have a good aggressive tread and while I was at it I purchased 2 700x32 Presta tubes($3.99) . Again, if I was only going to ride on street only - I would not have considered this bike and small conversion. The conversion on the R600 would have been more pricey and all local bike shops just wanted me to buy a new bike instead of help me convert. That is one of the main reasons why I bought this bike. The other thing I recommend for the bike is a STEM Riser - there about $30 bucks. There basically is no adjustments for handlebars and the stock stem will force you to lean over the bars alot.

I questioned myself about maybe buying something else but cost was an issue and this thing had almost had all the stuff I wanted - well with all the searching I did at local bike shops and chain stores - the answer is that it would have cost me at minimum $450 to $500 for something like this from a local bike shop and not have everything I wanted at came to a higher price point. Most of the bikes I saw where very similar to the Trail Way. I looked at pretty much everything in the range of $300 bucks - Walmart, Target, Dicks Sporting goods, online at Craigslist, Perfomance, nashbar, etc... - mostly what I found had grip shifters and Rapid Fire shifters are way better.

So bottom line - if you are looking for a solid bike for $250 bucks -- it is a great deal and no grip shifters. Do not get worried about the 28" wheel thing they are 700C wheels and tires. If you use this bike for the road - go over it and tune it and your good to go. If you want it for light trail mix and pavement - change the tires and while you are at it put presta tubes in. If you want a more upright ride get a Stem Riser - well worth it and still keeps the bike in the $300 range give a few bucks here and there..

Back