Schwinn Typhoon ww1 build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I started collecting parts for my build. I love the looks of ww1 military motorcycles, and want to follow through with the style with my build. The frame is a Schwinn Typhoon frame (not sure of the year). I picked it up for $10 as a mostly complete bike, minus the front wheel, but it was really a basket case, and wanted to use just the frame anyway.

I went on a parts buying spree tonight and bought a vintage Monark double springer fork which needs restoration. I also bought a three piece crank from an occ schwinn stingray, and plan on converting the frame to take the crank. Anyone have an advice on doing so? I saw some conversion kits on eBay, but wasn't sure what I needed.

Also, I'm a fairly tall guy, and used to own an occ schwinn stingray, but I had to install ape hangers so I could ride it, as my knees hit the stock handlebars. I'm just torn on what kind of handlebars to use on a build like this one. Anyone have any advice? I like the looks of ape hangers, but was also thinking about using mountain bike handlebars.

I will be painting the frame matte olive green, and am debating on the fork color. Torn between green and black, or both. I don't think I'll be using fenders on this build. The frame is very rusty, but actually like the texture of it. Am debating on leaving the rust, and just priming and painting over it. Do you guys think that would look good?

I also bought an old car spotlight that I will be using for a headlight. I will be posting pictures in the next day or so.

I also bought this badge off of ebay:
schwinnbadge-1.jpg

And heres the fork I just picked up:
monark.jpg

Does anyone know if I can add the springer part of the Monark fork to the stock Schwinn Typhoon fork?

And heres the spotlight I have:
spotlight.jpg

I have to try to figure out some kind of mount, ad it doesn't have the regular bicycle headlight mount on the bottom. Anyone have any info on wiring one of these up? Can I wire one of these up for a big 6 volt battery? I was thinking about mounting an old, square tobacco tin somewhere with an on off switch on the top with the battery inside and wire it to the light. There are just two wires inside the light housing, guessing positive an negative?

that light intended for two wheelers?
it looks kinda like a police patrol spotlight.. very cool though i cant wait to see what it gets used as in the build :)

Love the springer.
Those Unity lights make for very cool and BIG headlights. That is simialr to what I used on Flexy.

Got the schwinn headbadge in the mail yesterday. When I saw the picture in the ad, I was planning on repainting it due to the sloppy paint job, but was undecided on the colors, but when I got it, I played around with it and now it looks great. All the excess white paint has been removed. Will shoot a picture of it later.

I have been trying to figure out how to make the spotlight work. I bought this:
schwinnheadlightadapt.jpg

It's a headlight adapter for a Triumph motorcycle, but I should be able to make it work with a bicycle headlight bracket mount. I might have to grind away from extra metal from the adapter, but thats OK.

Another option I have been toying around with is installing it on the front fender, but I'm not sure if I want to use fenders or not.

Now that I've been getting parts, I can't stay with a theme for the bike. I love the rat look, and love the army green, but now have been toying around with a matte white frame with red and black accents, but I'm not sure. I probably won't be able to paint it until next year anyway, but plan on painting it the next warm day we get, even if I'm unsure of the color, it needs to be painted.

The 3 piece crank I ordered for it from the OCC stingray arrived, but missing half of the assembly. In the meantime, I think I've decided to use another crank anyway off of an 80's Murray cruiser I picked up last week.

But I would love to hear your imput on the headlight mount. I'm not sure how easy it's going to install with the two springs on the fork, so I can't think of any other options but if you guys have other options in mind, please let me know!

Also bought a cool old Tobacco tin for the battery for the headlight (and maybe car clock), and have to figure out where to mount that as well.

Heres the cleaned up badge:
schwinn001.jpg

Here are some pictures of the exact spotlight I will be using. I must of somehow cracked the bezel on the light in two places, but I don't remember doing it, so if anyone has a bezel or an entire light for parts, PM me!
schwinn002.jpg

schwinn003.jpg

schwinn005.jpg

schwinn004.jpg

And heres the tin I want to use for the battery. There is still a lot of room in there after I put a 6 volt in there, but should still work. I think I'm going to install the on/off toggle right on the top of the tin.
schwinn006.jpg

So I just got the monark fork in, and did a test fit on my schwinn frame to see if everything fit in place, but nope. The tube on the fork on the monark is way to long. If I welded the tube from the original schwinn fork to the monark fork should everything fit OK? Anyone on here with a welder? haha. I don't have one, but would be willing to pay well if someone is interested in helping out another member!

your Monark springer probably came from a girls bike, which usually have longer head tubes. How about taking it to your LBS and have it cut down and re-threaded?

of course then you'll probably have to cut down and re-thread the spring mounts too. But at least that's done using an easy to find die.

Before you cut up either fork, just swap the Schwinn for the Monark. I did it on my bobber build to get tire clearance, except I used a Worksman fork..
Granted, the Monark has a closed end on the fork to prevent it from coming off the rocker. To combat that i installed a set of 'safety' washers (you know the ones that go through the hole on a 'modern' fork, used to cover a manufacturer's liability if the wheel falls off). Or, if have a welder, weld some washers on the end to close the Schwinn fork legs.

DSCF2150.jpg

Good luck!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Just went there, and they said they don't have the tools to do so, but they could mail it away and have it done for upwards of $200. I don't mind shipping it at all, just don't know what else to do.

Back