Schwinn Varsity - All Cleaned Up

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just finished cleaning up my 1979 Varsity. It is Emerald Green and everything is original except for the tires. I splurged and spent more on the tires than i did the bike. I'm not a big fan of the gumwall look. I think the all black looks good. My wife pointed out that the tread inthe tires has little S's for Schwinn. Chrome was pretty messy and rusty when I got it, but it all cleaned up nicely. Here are a few pics of the finished product.

2473240777_1b15c15f0d_b.jpg

2473240599_3ffea14393_b.jpg

2473240937_a2b2942d0f_b.jpg

2474058024_2ee7692e65_b.jpg

2473241439_996cd79c68_b.jpg

2474058508_3bf4f6bd79.jpg

2473241755_bfa8ddc2aa_b.jpg

Awesome...cleaned up really well!!

Now if you really want to sweeten the deal you could install a set of
early 80s Super Maxy 3 piece cranks....mmm, that would be tastey. :wink:

BTW...love that bike shop logo too...crazy vintage fonts are so cool.

Does anybody know where I could get replacement brake pads like these? I like the look of the red. These are in pretty good shape, but they are pretty hard and the stopping power is weak.

Great detail job! Almost Ratrod-esque! Been on the lookout for a deal on the red pads also. Seems guys on ebay want to much! If you find a deal LMK! :wink:
L8 EM

I saw you bought that thing on the Schwinn Forum. It is Huge! I sold mine last year and have been kicking myself ever since.

GTCOMA said:
Does anybody know where I could get replacement brake pads like these? I like the look of the red. These are in pretty good shape, but they are pretty hard and the stopping power is weak.
I keep hearing they can be had new, but no-one seems to recall where. I haven't found new ones since the 80's.sometimes the dielectric grease fo weatherstripping and swaybar bushings will improve the performance,but then they wear out pretty quick. I just gave up and use the modern plastic ones, or off of trash bikes.

Back