screw_dup's haggard hawthorne

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i didnt take any more pics of the bikeonce i picked it up. it was in pretty bad shape, and i was more concerned with getting into it. here is the crappy cell pic i snapped of the craigslist add though.
hawthorne.jpg

Parts trashed:
rusty dinged up rear fender
crank & rotted out pedals
rear rim
ugly sofa seat
and schinn grips

So after gutting the bike and pulling it all apart i started sanding it down. I started off with 220grit to knaw through the rust and raised spots. followed that up with 400grit. and finished up with 800grit and now i thinks its almost ready for paint. There's still a couple of spots i need to work on before then...but I'm almost there.
I also need to get the seat post out. Once I took off the post clamp i Tried to twist it out with the seat still on and ended up breaking the seat mount. so...idk
I'm going to spray it with a satin creme vanilla then wetsand through with some 1000grit to reveal some of the old red paint in a few areas to give it a *ratrod-esc feel. Once thats on and wet sanded smooth, its gettin a few coats of gloss clear.

So anyways heres some pics...
DSC01430.jpg

DSC01435.jpg

DSC01436.jpg

I guess the head tube had a good enough seal to somewhat preserve the original paint job. I though that was pretty cool

I always like see the original color on the fork stems.
As far as your stuck seat tube...I don't know if you have access to a bench vise (you probably know some one who has one) but the last one I got one out I soaked it with PB Blaster and put the tube in the vise and used the frame as leverage to work the tube out. It's the best method I've tried so far!

ratina said:
Its hard to tell in the pic of the frame/fork on your deck, is the fork bent back a little bit?

I see what youre talkling about, but no. The towel is bulged up and kind of covering the back of the dropout a little bit. makes it look funny though.

screw_dup said:
ratina said:
Its hard to tell in the pic of the frame/fork on your deck, is the fork bent back a little bit?

I see what youre talkling about, but no. The towel is bulged up and kind of covering the back of the dropout a little bit. makes it look funny though.

Thats good, its hard to find straight forks!

well guys a couple more cell phone updates. i get too carried away. i need to start remembering to take pics. anyway, i started off the day by gettin a few coats of doo-doo brown primer on the frame and then i finished up with a few coats of dupli-color creme. im lettin it cure untill tomorrow afternoon then im gonna start wetsanding through to bring out a little patina and give it the feel i want. then i need to gloss and buff it. well heres a couple of pics...

1102091046.jpg

ITS DOOKIE BABY!!

1102091444.jpg

sorry its a horrible shot... cant even make out the color that well, but its all i got

Cool- the original red is a really nice color. It's always cool to see the orig. paint on the stems as Drabe said. :)

Is the seatpost still stuck? It might not be the best time to try this, but usually, you can free a stuck post by soaking it thoroughly with some kind of penetrating oil (Kano Kroil is always my preference), squeezing the post up in a vice very tightly so that the frame is upside down and above the vice, and by gently twisting the frame around the post, the two will usually become separated. :wink: Once it's free, you can just twist the frame off. The post will likely be junk after, but that's usually not a big deal, as posts are pretty standard, common, and inexpensive. It's worth it to me to have an adjustable post.

Unchained said:
Cool- the original red is a really nice color. It's always cool to see the orig. paint on the stems as Drabe said. :)

Is the seatpost still stuck? It might not be the best time to try this, but usually, you can free a stuck post by soaking it thoroughly with some kind of penetrating oil (Kano Kroil is always my preference), squeezing the post up in a vice very tightly so that the frame is upside down and above the vice, and by gently twisting the frame around the post, the two will usually become separated. :wink: Once it's free, you can just twist the frame off. The post will likely be junk after, but that's usually not a big deal, as posts are pretty standard, common, and inexpensive. It's worth it to me to have an adjustable post.

yeah, i dont have a vice. i dont think it will be to hard to get it out with one though. once i finish paint and let it cure for about a week then im gonna use my friends vice to get it out. for now im usig it as a handle so i dont jack up my paint

i actually got a few pics with a camera today. finished up all the wet sanding and I'm goin to start on the clear coat in a little bit.

Final color before wtsanding
DSC01458.jpg

DSC01459.jpg

then after some weathering and wetsanding and smoothing everything out to 1000grit... i came up with this...
DSC01460.jpg

DSC01461.jpg

DSC01462.jpg

DSC01463.jpg

DSC01466.jpg

I'm pretty happy with it so far. Its coming out just how i had it pictured so i guess im doin alright. i have the first coat of clear on it. the old paint and metal looks really cool when its all glossed out. hopefully i have more updates for you guys soon

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Dude,
How did this build come out, I'm lovin' it.

Cheers!
Dr.T

im still workin on it man... just bought a donor bike last week. this week im tearing down the wheels and painting them, cleaning up the hubs. the tires i got are awesome.. whitewalls on them are all kinds of ratty. still cant get the seatpost out but im sure ill get it sooner or later.

heres a quick mock up i did the other night. keep in mind its just a mock up. im not gonna use these forks and im cutting my bars from a piece of straight pipe

hawthorne13.jpg

Hey dog face, nice bicycle!, by the way, I am a firm believer that diesel fuel is the worlds greatest penetrator. Once you are ready for the seat post issue, try diesel and let it sit for a sandwich or so. I find that a BLT and a beverage is usually long enough. And if it angers you still, you can burn the freaking thing to the ground!! That always makes me feel better.

Back