Scurf

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yeah! . . . It Scurfs!

Is that a drum brake in the back? I must’ve missed that part.

I’ll send you some extra desert sun for the photos. It should be there about 6 AM tomorrow.
:bigsmile:

It must rain there every day where you live. I’m a desert guy and I’ve never lived in the tropics where it’s wet and there’s an actual jungle.

We are in the middle of rainy season. It's better than the humidity in the dry season though. You can hear our metal roof pop from the heat.

That's a band brake in the rear. It's common here, while coaster brakes are unheard of. Most of the city bikes and sidecars have these brakes. They aren't that strong and don't work if you roll backward. They don't use brake pads, they are a strap that tightens around a disc on the hub. They look good though.
28 July band brake.jpg

The thing now is lighter, no springer, and has the skinny front tire I originally planned on using. The wider tire wouldn't clear the frame. It sits a little lower also, making it easier to kick. Now it rides even better. I can add a front brake now, caliper or v brake.

20 Aug sport mode.jpg

20 Aug sport mode2.jpg

I like the new front end setup even better. What a cool ride!

I went with a V brake after all. The caliper didn't give enough stopping power. I also added a beefier fork. I took it down the hill today and really appreciated the brakes. Walking it back up is just part of my workout routine.
28 Aug ride.jpg

This will wrap it up for the Scurf build. I had a piece of wood just the right size to make a new footboard. The big longboard got swiped for Bamboozle. Just a little trimming and some paint was all it needed. The smaller board shows off the bamboo also.

In anyone wants to make one of these, I learned a few things.
1. Having a narrow footboard is a plus, a wide board makes it harder to kick, your feet need to be closer together, and low to the ground.
2.At about 5 inches is good for clearing obstacles, but 4" would probably work best. The length of the wheelbase is why it needs to be a little higher to clear things. That's another thing I would change next time.
3.The bike only needs to be as long as you have room for your feet on the board. I could take a foot and a half off and have a lighter and faster scoot. The steering would be quicker but would still work fine. The longer it is, the more flex you'll have also. Shorter would Increase rigidity and require less foot power.

6 Sep scurf.jpg

6 Sep scurf2.jpg

I swiped the skinny front tire for my Ruby build and tried knobbies on Scurf. I like the look and will add BMX bars to give it that beefy look. I'm also going to shorten the frame by 1 foot so it will go on the car rack. It may have less flex being shorter. Maybe a different paint job after welding. A foot shorter footboard should be just about right.

Knobbies 7 Oct 22.jpg

I marked out a spot to cut out a foot of frame. I may ask the welder what he thinks before making any cuts.

frame 7 Oct 22.jpg

Our contractor guy who does everything stopped by to seal a drain, so I showed him what I wanted to do. He had the time so it got chopped and rewelded. I'll check it out later to see where I go from here.

9 oct cut.jpg

9 oct weld.jpg

Uhhhh . . . Yeah . . .

That photograph is gonna go up on the welding safety forum for sure. The guys over at Shop floor talk are gonna scowl at that one for a while.
:eek:
That's SOP over here, even in the "professional" shops. I took my parts for welding to the shop in the past, but it's the same cost to have a welder come to the house.

Have you ever welded in flip-flops? Wait until he catches a cherry between his toes and learns to dance!
Everyone over here knows how to dance and sing. It's amazing. There's a karaoke machine in every house, two in mine. The deluxe models allow multiple microphones. The weekends are filled with numerous singers echoing through the neighborhood. I have my office soundproofed.

The rebuild of scurf is complete. I took off a foot of frame and trimmed the ends. I forgot that the long tubes on the rear were the stops for the kickstand, but it still sits fine. Then a red paintjob to go along with the new burly tires.

scurf excess 16 Oct 22.jpg

Scurf red 16 Oct 22.jpg

Yes, I missed that part. How come Scurf wasn’t entered in the voting?
It wasn't pedal powered. Originally the plan did include pedals. I reread the rules and noticed that after the fact so I withdrew it.

Latest posts

Back