Sealed BB removal on newer Haro

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a newish Haro BMX with Tekktro V brakes and Alex rims, Cane Creek threadless headset, etc at the thrift store. Has 3 pc cranks with a sealed bottom bracket in a standard sized opening (in the frame)

I got the crank arms off no problem.

Is there a special method to getting these out, or do I just pry them out like bearing cups? I want to use the bottom bracket and cranks on another bike, considering just cutting the frame up, but it's a decent 4130 frame that I could have riding again with regular cranks in it. Hate to do anything drastic. Advice?

All of the brakes and gyro all still function fine, hate to ruin this bike, but also not going to spend more than the $15 I bought it for to buy a tool I'll use one time.

maybe pressed bearings ?if so the only way i know to get them out in one piece is with a tool. other wise you shoul be able to manhandle them out, probbaly tearing them up in the process. good luck

All of the how-to's are vauge at best. They say to work the spindle back and forth until one of the sides comes loose.

I'll give that a try, if it seems like it's not going to happen, I'm just going to chop the whole thing out in one piece and surgically remove it with a cutting wheel and drill.

At work we have a fleet of Giant Simple Singles with the sealed bearing BB. They have a screw in retainer with internal splines like a rear hub cassett (sp?). The guy at my LBS has always helped me out by removing those for me at no charge. Since he already has the specialized tools for the job and it only takes a minute. I don't know if yours has the splined retainer or not but I thought this might help.

if you have 'sealed cartridge bearings' and not a 'sealed, cartridge bb' then you should be able to shift the position of the internal spacer (a little tube that fits snugly between the bearings, but not tight) and tap them out with a punch- but only tap on the outer metal ring (you knew that). they are just PRESSED into place.i've not had much luck with specialty cartridge bearing pullers. i have also used something that expands tightly in the center and then tapped on that (i.e. on a hub with 'blind' bearing access i used an expanding concrete anchor, but planned on replacing the bearings).

shimano and shimano copy 'sealed, cartridge bbs' are only 'cartridge' in the fact that they are meant to be installed/removed as a unit. they almost never have actual 'cartridge bearings' in them, and are 'sealed' with o-rings to protect the preassembled cup and cone internals. they are threaded into a normal road/mtb size shell and are what the park tool shown earlier is for. they are THREADED into place.

'sealed cartridge bearings' will be found better dirt jumping bikes, freestyle, park bikes and sounds to me like what you're describing.
on haro bmx bikes the 'euro' threaded units are only found on racing models and wouldn't be found in combination with a gyro.

let us know what you find- haros with cartridge bb's are usually too good to cut up :D

Latest posts

Back