Sealed bearing coaster brake prototype

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Sealed bearing coaster brake prototype

Hey Cman,

Thanks for the post.
That sounds like just what I've been looking for!!
Looks like the case is aluminum too, bonus.

Handsome Cycles are made in my neck of the woods.
Both OneOnOne and AngryCatFish sell these bikes so I'll go sniffing around
and see if I can get more info

I'll post what I can find
I'm on a mission!

Hey Rat Rod,

Rat Rod said:
As long as the brake arm doesn't say HI-STOP on it. :lol:

I agree and will be watching for telltale signs
Unfortunately HRLiner has a hi-stop on it (no choice at the time).
I beat on it pretty good after rebuilding it and it's holding up (for now)
but still want to see if I can swap out the guts

I'll ask about weight too
Just because it's aluminum doesn't mean it's lighter
The new Sturmey Archer 2 speed kickbacks have an aluminum body
and still weigh 1600g (3.5lbs) :shock:

Has anyone used the Velosteel coaster hubs?
They look well made but maybe really heavy
Some cool features and they may take the same gear as a Sturmey Archer
Supposedly they are $40 and a Shimano is about $30
http://www.atomiccycles.com/coaster.html

If I can't get at one of these Handsome hubs,
does anybody know a source for an aluminum body single speed coaster hub?
Maybe I can swap the guts out of it if the rest is too cheap

I think that Velosteel coaster brake hubs are made using the same equipment that produced the old Fitchel & Sachs Komet Super hubs. I think whoever is making them bought out F&S. Although, I could be thinking of Sram; I think they had something to do with that too, which I may ahve heard after looking into the Sram torpedo fixed gear/ freewheel hub.

I find the Velosteel hubs extremely attractive visually, but I don't know what they are like mechanically. The old F&s hubs were real bulletproof, so i would guess that these are too. Some of them take threaded track cogs, too, which I find interesting.

I have thought about building these for a number of years, seemed kind of pointless as the brakes shoes/disc need to be oiled or greased in the first place.

MplsCoaster said:
Hey Rat Rod,

Rat Rod said:

I used a new Velosteel hub on the Bareknuckle Brawler.......it hasn't done a lot of miles yet, but works really well....nice and quiet, low drag and stops good. I did service it before I used it though. The grease that was in it originally had started to solidify.

I've also got a HiStop on a 700c wheel that has done hundreds of miles without a problem. I did pull it apart from new, cleaned it out, and replaced a couple of flimsy looking bearing cages before I regreased it with proper grease....not the miniscule amount of stuff that looked like vaseline when I opened it up :eek: .

Unchained said:
I think that Velosteel coaster brake hubs are made using the same equipment that produced the old Fitchel & Sachs Komet Super hubs. I think whoever is making them bought out F&S. Although, I could be thinking of Sram; I think they had something to do with that too, which I may ahve heard after looking into the Sram torpedo fixed gear/ freewheel hub.

I find the Velosteel hubs extremely attractive visually, but I don't know what they are like mechanically. The old F&s hubs were real bulletproof, so i would guess that these are too. Some of them take threaded track cogs, too, which I find interesting.

You're spot on. Velosteel bought the tooling from F&S when they stopped producing the torpedo/komet hubs. Then Fitchel & Sachs began trading under the Sram name.

I like the idea of sealed bearing hubs, but i do enjoy taking them
apart to re-grease.

Slightly OT. Does anyone know if the Sturmey Archer duomatic hub uses the F&S design or something of their own? Has anyone taken one apart? I'd love to see the guts of one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even with an aluminum hub shell it still needs a steel liner to be pressed in.
I did this years ago building several custom coaster brake hubs for bike project to be shown at Interbike. We machine custom high flange shells, then took stock Shimano coaster brakes, disassembled them, knocked the flanges off the shells, turned them smooth on a lathe, then pressed them into the new shell. This is relatively easy.

Hey,

Thanks to all for the great information!
I wasn't sure how you could have a aluminum "drum" for a brake, now I know

bean said:
MplsCoaster said:
Hey Rat Rod,

Rat Rod said:

I used a new Velosteel hub on the Bareknuckle Brawler.......it hasn't done a lot of miles yet, but works really well....nice and quiet, low drag and stops good. I did service it before I used it though. The grease that was in it originally had started to solidify.

I've also got a HiStop on a 700c wheel that has done hundreds of miles without a problem. I did pull it apart from new, cleaned it out, and replaced a couple of flimsy looking bearing cages before I regreased it with proper grease....not the miniscule amount of stuff that looked like vaseline when I opened it up :eek: .

It seems like I'm not the only one who goes through new hubs. I agree that there is too little grease originally.
I now have about 200 miles on the HotRodLiner and no noise or vibration yet
The gearing I've got is the limit my knees will take so I think it's being used pretty hard (52/16 27.5lbs).
I pulled apart a new hub on a Trek and there was NO grease on one of the bearings.

Has anybody weighed the Velosteel?
Is there a width differnce? 110mm versus 120mm
Seems a lot hubs have spacer nuts anyway to adjust for width

Here is some info on the new SA 2 speed kickback
http://hubstripping.wordpress.com/2010/ ... rcher-s2c/
Sturmey Archer has an exploded view in their technical manual for comparison
http://www.sturmey-archer.com/products/ ... /55/tech/1

No news on the sealed bearing hub yet but I'm on vacation next week so I'm going to do some digging then

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Just a quick question, if they make a 2 speed kickback, why no 3 speed?

Probably a stupid question...... :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Dr. T

I think they released the kickback to appeal to the hipster minalist market. No compassion for the older cyclist with poor knees.

cheers Jonnie

I would love to make another high flange coaster brake hub (I did two of them in the 90's). I would like to get a good look at the VeloSteel, I guess I can look at some of my old F&S hubs, need to see if I can machine the hub shell into a smooth outer surface to press into a new body, not sealed of course but real cool.

Hey all,

Met Mike of Hansome cycle and seemed like a good guy
he said he built a good coaster hub becausee "someone had to"
We talked about light bikes and Fixes to Coasters
Here are some pics form their 2012 launch at OneOnOne LBS
IMG_4468.jpg

They had a prototype Hystop with a sealed bearing on the "shop Bike"
It was a really nice bike about 25pounds with fat tires

IMG_4491.jpg

IMG_4481.jpg

IMG_4472.jpg

IMG_4466.jpg

IMG_4465.jpg

The Bogart hub got stolen a few days before their launch
http://www.bikerumor.com/2011/09/08/hel ... ikes-back/

The new one launched at Interbike has KT internals
http://www.bikerumor.com/2011/09/18/int ... brake-hub/

BTW: Mike really liked the Hot Rod Liner
I think it was the first time he ever saw a Spaceliner
He said "Where did you buy this bike?!" :D

Mike seemed like a good guy and passionate about making quality, usable bikes and parts
Best to luck to him and Handsome Bikes

Thanks for the update. Looks like $140 for the Bogart hub.

c.p.odom said:
Even with an aluminum hub shell it still needs a steel liner to be pressed in.
I did this years ago building several custom coaster brake hubs for bike project to be shown at Interbike. We machine custom high flange shells, then took stock Shimano coaster brakes, disassembled them, knocked the flanges off the shells, turned them smooth on a lathe, then pressed them into the new shell. This is relatively easy.

Why not make bolt on flanges like those old French constructeur bikes, like Herse and Singer?

bikeguy wrote:
Why not make bolt on flanges like those old French construcor bikes, like Herse and Singer?

That is a possibility just not my style. I would not go through the effort to still have a hub center with questionable looks. Certainly it would be easier and cheaper.
My friend Amir in Israel does some incredible work riveting his own custom high flanges onto existing low flange hubs using the spoke holes for the rivets. His hubs are a very nice replica of the custom Maxi-Car hubs used by Herse and Singer.

Thanks for the tip. I contacted Amir and we got some flanges going. With Amir's advice and guidance, I even got my own riveting tool and attached the flanges myself. Here is what they look like:

No KT here

Back