Sealing spokes on a tubeless tire

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im building a bike with car tires. I took out the centers and drilled it for spokes. I dont have tubes to run. Can i seal the spokes with jb weld or epoxy or bondo after its trued up? what do people normally use ?

thanks for the suggestions. I dont think either of those will work for me because of the angle of the spokes and position of the valve stem. but Im definatly going to look into it farther now that i know there are products for it. Im not sure jb weld will hold up since the spokes might have some movement. so it should be rubbery . ill figure something out

Porsche930dude said:
Im building a bike with car tires...
...what do people normally use ?

Do people normally use car tires on bikes? :p

You might ask LukeTheJoker, that would seem pretty normal for him.

well i just had a better look at the tires and they are pretty horribly cracked when you flex them around so i may end up with tubes anyway. I guess im just trying to do it the cheapest and lightest way possible with stuff i already have. I read on some motorcycle forums that they used a few different types of metal calking/ adheasive just simple stuff from lowes. so i may try something like that on the cheap and if it doesnt hold ill just go for the tubes. I dont even care if it leaks a bit as long as it lasts a few days till i have to pump them up again. Pretty much all my bikes are like that anyway :roll: I dont have a frame yet but im working on the wheels. I got the front one all painted and strung up today it looks awesome. I'll get a picture for you guys and let you know how I get on with the sealant when i get that far

ok I used some stuff called Life Calk. Its for sealing boats. Its kinda the consistency of gutter sealer. probrobly the same stuff. ill let you know how it works

I have heard of guys on the mountain bike forums using duct tape to seal the rims on fat bikes to go tubeless, probably the cheapest and easiest way.

outskirtscustoms said:
I have heard of guys on the mountain bike forums using duct tape to seal the rims on fat bikes to go tubeless, probably the cheapest and easiest way.
yea but i think they bridge the gap from bead to beadso the beads actually seal the tape. I dont think they make duct tape 4.5" wide :lol: actually zip tape would be much better for that. its like rubbery and super sticky used to seal gaps in zip plywood. its only like 3" wide but it would cover the spoke area anyway. its like 25$ a roll though

Well i finally put air to it fter letting it dry all week and it leaks everywhere out of all the dry rot in the tire :roll: I still think the spokes would have sealed but oh well. I looked around and found a couple tubes in my basement that work. I taped up the spokes put the tube in and its all good :mrgreen:

Porsche930dude said:
I taped up the spokes put the tube in and its all good :mrgreen:
Cool! You got a build thread happening on this thing? Would love to have a look...

Luke.

not yet I will start one when i get farther along. Im not sure what im going to do for a frame yet. Ill post a link here when i get it going

Back