Sears Murray (Corrected Info)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just picked this up a few weeks ago, been too busy to post photos. It is a Sears branded Puch, three speed.
So far, all I have done is replace the brake cables and housing, brake pads, the speedometer* :)P), and swapped the seat out. It is bent and I am trying to straighten it out.

The tires are good, the grips are still good, (the seat is still good also). I cleaned it up and re-greased the back hub (I do NOT recommend that for anyone). I need to replace the back brake lever (it's loose) and the shifter housing cable (and I'll just do the cable as well while I am in there). I'll have to look for the page I found that had a similar bike for details.

Enjoy.

* - to whoever I got the speedo from on here, thanks! I love it! If you read this, say something on here.

20120521_155541.jpg

20120521_155552.jpg

20120521_155620.jpg

Sorry for my shadow. It was bright out and I couldn't see my camera screen that well.

20120521_155638.jpg

20120521_155707.jpg

Re: Sears Puch

Took apart a 3-speed hub once, this was before the internet, had to go to the library for reference book(s). Luckily, I got it all put back together and amazingly, it worked! Nice bike you have there.

I know front sprocket is a Murray bicycle style so I am not sure if it is a Puch but I don't know, if it's 502 then it would be a Murray made Sears bike.

Yeah it's a Murray through and through.

Puch frame would be lugged, would have three piece cranks, european headset, etc.

Looks in great condition though, Murray lightweights are underrated. I think they have a better geometry than Huffys or AMFs- they just ride and steer better.

Crud. Well I got my info wrong or mixed up. Thanks for the heads up. Any guesses on the year?

I don't think anybody has figured out the sears/murray numbers yet. But the BMA/6 sticker dates it to after 1970. Does anybody know when Sears started using the "Free Spirit" name? That might narrow it down to some time between 1971 and whenever that was.

mos6502 said:
I don't think anybody has figured out the sears/murray numbers yet. But the BMA/6 sticker dates it to after 1970. Does anybody know when Sears started using the "Free Spirit" name? That might narrow it down to some time between 1971 and whenever that was.

Cool. Thanks. That's a start.

Sweet! Thank you. (right clicks and saves)

The second exploded diagram is one I found online (can't remember where). If I have any future problems, I know who to ask. :p
Also, your bike is gorgeous! (whistles)

Back