seat covering... mini-tutorial

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i was waiting for paint to dry... (on the rollfast)

i decided to try my hand at recovering a seat. it started with Kev saying that the target bike i turned into a rat, needed a white seat. so... here it is. i will try to answer any questions as best as i can.

1. here is the seat off the target bike.

DSC02195.jpg

i went to my local fabric store, Joann fabrics, and got a piece of white marine vinyl. i got a discount cause it was a scrap. $3.48! you cant really see it in the pictures but the vinyl has a leather like grain to it.

DSC02201.jpg

2. take the seat apart.

DSC02203.jpg

DSC02204.jpg

this seat has a plastic frame/pan, as you can see, the cover is held on w/ staples:

DSC02206.jpg

i pried out all staples w/ a thin flat blade screwdriver and needlenose pliers.

DSC02208.jpg

DSC02209.jpg

on this seat, the cover was also glued on with spray adhesive. peel it off carefully, as to not tear the foam.

DSC02210.jpg

3. cut out a piece larger than the old cover. better to cut it bigger than you need, than too small.

DSC02211.jpg

i used a friend's electric staple gun, but i would imagine a regular one would work. i used 1/4" staples.

DSC02212.jpg

i put a few staples in on one side. be careful not to have any poke through.

DSC02213.jpg

the stapler didn't have the power to put the staples into the plastic all the way, so i used the needlenose pliers to pinch them in the rest of the way. i wrapped some tape around one side of the pliers, as to not damage the vinyl on the outside of the seat.

you really need to pull and stretch the material in all directions to get it to fit. it may take some trial and error to get the material to fit right.

DSC02214.jpg

i almost have it all stapled up. you will need to work out all the wrinkles around the corners. you may even need to cut some slits if it is bunching up in the tight spots.

have patience...

here it is all stapled up.

DSC02215.jpg

i put staples all the way around. go back and make sure all the staples are fully seated, and make sure none are going to poke through.

next, trim off the excess...

DSC02216.jpg

here is my finished seat!

DSC02218.jpg

DSC02219.jpg

DSC02220.jpg

DSC02221.jpg

DSC02226.jpg

i hope this was somewhat informative.... let me know what you think. and feel free to ask questions!

october

I've wanted to try reupholstering a seat for a while now, but you've just inspired me to actually do it! Your finished seat looks amazing! :shock:

Thanks everybody! i'm glad you like it. hopefully it is useful information.... let me know if anyone recovers a seat, how it turns out, and if any of this info helped along the way.

oct

Nice tutorial October! @lilbitty: There are paints designed for automotive interior plastics & vinyl, but I don't think they'll hold up well to normal abuse. As an alternative, try scouring thrift stores for fabric or leather in the color you need. I recovered the seat of this Haro T-Bone with read leather to match the brakes and pedals. I scavenged the leather from a skirt I found at a Goodwill store and used cabinet-grade contact cement to attach it.

t-bone04.jpg

Great suggestions guys, I will post pics before & after my experiment, lets hope it turns out!! I was thinking though, couldn't you clean the old original vinyl seat and just paint over that? Has anyone tried? Obviously, (and being an artist myself), a clean canvas lends itself better....

Does anyone know where I can find yellow vinyl, or yellow vinyl/fabric paint?

carolina rat said:
Where was I at when this was originally posted?

I posted it a whole year before you joined... :wink:

i didnt use any glue, but you could use some spray adhesive...

also a hair dryer will soften up the vinyl, and help with stretching...

oct.

Gold Street Customs said:
The only question I would have is what to fasten the material to on a metal pan as far as the staples wouldn't work....thanks Pastor Jim

i'm not sure... you would need to ask Firewalker, he would know... :wink:

oct.

This is just what I needed to see!
I just picked up some material at a local upholstery shop to recover a seat for a WCC chopper bike, I'll let you know how it turns out!

Back