Seat Post Shim Not Working ?????

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the right size clamp on the post ? Is the shim thick enough ? If your trying to make do with the Wald shims I've ran into slipping problems before, especially if you put some grease in the seat tube to make removal easier. If the shim is the problem check out the shims from ProblemSolvers (aluminum), a lot of online places sell them too like DansComp and it helps to have the right size shim.

The general idea that comes to mind is a piece of flat barstock ( or 2 ) with a hole in each end. A longer bolt through the seatpost clamp. Attach one end of the bar at the seat clamp,and the other to the post clamp.Modify the idea to come up with a look that you like. Or, using a cobalt high speed bit, drill a hole through the post in line with the groove in the frame seat tube. Install a spirol pin in the seatpost to go into that groove.

I hate it but a beer can cut and wrapped enough times will grip better than any steel shim.

In that picture, it appears the frame's seat tube has the slot cut into the front side, and you have the clamp's bolt positioned at the rear. The bolt should be on the same side as the slot for proper tightening.

With that said, I use a layback post and shim on most of my bikes, and find I always must tighten the clamp more than normal, to keep the post from twisting while riding, even with no grease on the post.

It looks like a CWC frame, they have slits cut on both the front and back of the seat tube.
I think Gold Street's problem is that the seat it's self is twisting on the post? It looks like you've got all the right parts. Try a thicker shim.

Or stipple the post (where the clamp goes) with a punch and hammer. Kind of like knurling by hand. The texture should give you some extra bit.

The problem is not where the post goes in the frame, but the seat on the post, slips from side to side but since I am done with my brakes now I will take it off and grind some vertical lines in the post, should take care of it,its fairly tight now.

Back