seatpost, headset, and bottom bracket size?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a 1963 middleweight frame, I think it is a american or a jaguar and i need to know some sizes to order parts. Looking to buy a springer fork, want to put a modern style saddle on and convert the 1 piece crank to a 3 peice sealed bearing crank. The frame is at the shop getting powder coated as we speak so I cant measure it right now. Any one no some dimensions?

i doubt there will be many size choices in 1" threaded 26" springer forks. your old headset will be fine, although the opening on the top nut may be larger than needed. you will probably need a .833" (21.1mm) instead of 22.2mm stem for a new chinese fork. 1" threaded bmx headset if replacing. that's bmx, not road or mtb, to get the correct cup size. the tioga beartrap 2 has been around forever. good headset.

easiest cheap post to use will be wald 13/16" diameter with a 7/8" diameter top for the common clamps. having one machined from solid aluminum is best if you don't want it to bend. easy job for any small machine shop.

if you're thinking 'euro' threaded bb there are several brands of opc-tpc cup adapters- they're all pretty much the same. bb spindle length will depend on the crankset you choose. if you're thinking bmx tpc any complete crankset kit should have the required spacers, just get one for an 'american bb'. haro sells a decent looking set that doesn't cost a fortune.

:wink:

Thanks Bendix. I wish I would have asked this before. It was confusing for me also (Nubie brain)
Sorcerer

Sorcerer said:
Thanks Bendix. I wish I would have asked this before. It was confusing for me also (Nubie brain)
Sorcerer

i think the headset gets folks messed up most often- shops that don't know old bikes always seem to sell a generic road/mtb set to eveybody that walks in the door...

...and then we end up with yet another 'headset adapter' thread... :mrgreen:

With a Schwinn, you have thread pitch and mounting pocket issues, however the "universal/standard" 1" inner bearing races, or "cones" can be used with the Schwinn bearings and outer races. If you need bearings and outer races, the universals will need to be ground down to fit, or you will have to source Schwinn specific ones.

Latest posts

Back