Second hand store find

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Body: Kokomo, In... Mind: in the gutter. Soul: in
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I found this cool little 16" bike at the local second hand store today, I looked it over and fell in love with the little rear pegs and the grips, also it has 16" gumwalls that are not in too bad of shape. I asked how much and they said all the kid's bikes are $4 each. I'd have paid that just for the grips. Needless to say it came home with me.

P8060019.jpg

These grips are sweet
P8060021.jpg

P8060020.jpg

These are the little pegs Never seen pegs like these before
P8060022.jpg

Head-badge sticker is faded so I can't tell what it is
P8060023.jpg

Judging from the flag sticker I'm guessing Huffy
P8060024.jpg

I grew up in Bangkok and we used to get pegs just like those at the BMX spots along Warajak Rd. - no paint versions for a buck apiece, the painted pegs were about 2.50. Interesting little find!

schertztx said:
cool find! I had pegs like those on my Mongoose scooter in the 80's :mrgreen:

Was over at Dad's today and we were looking in the shed for some of my old toys to give to my daughter including my old wagon that I am going to fix up for her and my scooter was hanging up in there :shock: I had no idea he kept it. It still has those pegs on the back and a pair of GT fold up fork standers on the front forks. 8)

schertztx said:
schertztx said:
cool find! I had pegs like those on my Mongoose scooter in the 80's :mrgreen:

Was over at Dad's today and we were looking in the shed for some of my old toys to give to my daughter including my old wagon that I am going to fix up for her and my scooter was hanging up in there :shock: I had no idea he kept it. It still has those pegs on the back and a pair of GT fold up fork standers on the front forks. 8)

Awesome! post some pics when you get a chance.

Those Akron grips are at least 25 years old..
found a set when i was picking some bikes in a bush and did some research..
Good chance they may of been made in Akron, Oh. which is just up the road from where I live.. and 25 years ago they were just ending their reign as Rubber Capitol of the world.. so it would only make sense that they could come from there.. never found any def answer

also saw several other colors sell on ebay for quite a nice price tag, black ones.. not so much... so that would make me think they are somewhat desirable to classic BMX collectors , or Akron Rubber Memorabilia collectors maybe..

I like that seat on it.. looks like a Lego piece

cool score.. did you try to ride off into the sunset on it?

Illiterite Wino said:
Those Akron grips are at least 25 years old..
found a set when i was picking some bikes in a bush and did some research..
Good chance they may of been made in Akron, Oh. which is just up the road from where I live.. and 25 years ago they were just ending their reign as Rubber Capitol of the world.. so it would only make sense that they could come from there.. never found any def answer

also saw several other colors sell on ebay for quite a nice price tag, black ones.. not so much... so that would make me think they are somewhat desirable to classic BMX collectors , or Akron Rubber Memorabilia collectors maybe..

I like that seat on it.. looks like a Lego piece

cool score.. did you try to ride off into the sunset on it?

Cool, thanks for the info. The grips are what really caught my eye, they just have that vintage '80's BMX vibe to them. The seat is actually missing half of it, just molded plastic. And considering I'm not 6 years old and not that limber I won't try to ride it. Mainly just got it for the parts. my trailers take 16" tires so I got two gum wall tires, tubes, some cool grips, a set of skinny pegs, the rest will probably get scraped unless someone here wants some parts.

Latest posts

Back