Selecting wheels and drivetrain - Any help?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Well, it appears as if I have found a part I've been trying to get for a few years now; a set of Western Flyer thumb shifters. I'm motivated once again to finish a project.

This was a decent bike when new, but technology has changed in the last 25 years. I want this Western Flyer to keep a "retro" look, and look similar to the way it did when new. The cosmetic work is all done, except for having a new a headbadge decal made. I have the deraileurs replaced, new cables and red cable housing ran, paint buffed (looks great!!), new seat, new grips.

Any who, I need to figure out what wheels, crank, and sprocket to get for this. I want aluminum rims, with quick release axles on both front and rear. I have a 6 speed cassette of good quality.

I want something better than the 1-piece steel crank that was in this before. Is there an alternative in aluminum? 3-piece crank with two-step chain ring?

What's available guys? What's good for retro fitting this?

I'd like to keep it a 12 speed.

Before:

2380-1.jpg

Tear down:

2583-1.jpg

Refurbished frame set, components not installed in this pic

100_0997-1.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, can't help but waiting for pictures when ready!

Gesendet von meinem SM-G800F mit Tapatalk

Anything, guys? The crank and chain ring is my biggest obstacle.

If you want an aluminum crank with multiple front sprockets, the easiest thing would be to get an American-to-Euro adaptor (Truvativ makes a popular one) and whatever regular 3-piece crank you'd prefer. You'll also need a BB set; which one you choose will depend on what crank you'd like to run.

Beware: a lot of 2-ring 3-piece cranks will be for road bikes, and you may have trouble as far as the chainrings and/or crankarms clearing the stays on your fat-tire bike. A crank for a MTB would offer better clearance. Many of those have 3 rings, but it is easy enough to chainge them to 2-ring.

Here's your starting point:
http://www.treefortbikes.com/produc...7m297QCAWHPtio7eZiF6FKVawle4JSZvKZhoCPtbw_wcB
Once you get that, you can run most any crank that will fit your frame's clearances, and is compatible with a brit-threaded BB shell. Once you pick out your crank, get some advice or do some research on what BB to run; not all are compatible at the spindle, and chainline matters, even with derailer bikes.

As far as the rear sprockets go, do you actually have 6 speed cassettes, or do you have screw-on brit thread freewheels? Your choice of wheels will vary accordingly. Further, if you do in fact have 6 speed cassettes, i might advise going with freewheels instead b/c the freewheels are cheap and compatible hubs are cheap and common. 6 speed Shimano cassettes are nice, but all the UG cassettes and UG-compatible hubs are getting harder to find replacements for.

HTH
-Rob

If you want an aluminum crank with multiple front sprockets, the easiest thing would be to get an American-to-Euro adaptor (Truvativ makes a popular one) and whatever regular 3-piece crank you'd prefer. You'll also need a BB set; which one you choose will depend on what crank you'd like to run.

Beware: a lot of 2-ring 3-piece cranks will be for road bikes, and you may have trouble as far as the chainrings and/or crankarms clearing the stays on your fat-tire bike. A crank for a MTB would offer better clearance. Many of those have 3 rings, but it is easy enough to chainge them to 2-ring.

Here's your starting point:
http://www.treefortbikes.com/produc...7m297QCAWHPtio7eZiF6FKVawle4JSZvKZhoCPtbw_wcB
Once you get that, you can run most any crank that will fit your frame's clearances, and is compatible with a brit-threaded BB shell. Once you pick out your crank, get some advice or do some research on what BB to run; not all are compatible at the spindle, and chainline matters, even with derailer bikes.

As far as the rear sprockets go, do you actually have 6 speed cassettes, or do you have screw-on brit thread freewheels? Your choice of wheels will vary accordingly. Further, if you do in fact have 6 speed cassettes, i might advise going with freewheels instead b/c the freewheels are cheap and compatible hubs are cheap and common. 6 speed Shimano cassettes are nice, but all the UG cassettes and UG-compatible hubs are getting harder to find replacements for.

HTH
-Rob

Thanks! I'll definitely go with a free wheel. I had a 6-speed cassette from a Huffy Sonic 6 but it was shot and so was the wheel it was on.

What is a "brit-threaded" crank? I'll keep this a mtn bike OR convert to a hybrid (those are fun!)

Brit-threads are the most common bb threads; basically anything with a threaded BB that's not, like, an old Italian thread or (perhaps surprisingly) or Nottingham Raleigh... in the BMX world, they call it "Euro." A brit-threaded BB shell is 1&3/8" x24tpi, female... which is the same exact specs as your standard brit-thread freewheel. The vast majority of frames in the USA are built with that standard...

Whichever way you go with the build, try a mtb crank to keep the clearance up.... you're more likely to be able to fit the bigger hybrid-style gears on it with one of those....

This is where I left it tonight [emoji4]
2cb729157bd3acf80d2ad50a71367beb.jpg

cc43f4961f89d3e77fd4f1b59ca41527.jpg

561d747d7c332e290395ac1792c03c12.jpg

bacb05e6dacb1aa32c49ebf034e4da55.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back