settin' up shop

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been lookin' at paint sprayers and media blasters online and there are so many choices out there. I don't know a thing about these items but want to purchase them and learn how to use them for my projects. I went into Harbor freight tools to get a bench vise and started looking at theirs. They looked alright but were very cheap. (now I know that alot of their stuff is cheap) but for a beginner I'm thinking of getting on of theirs. What do you guys think:?:

I use some HF stuff, Im not a job shop so the occasional use doesnt wear them out too quick, and if they go I can usually buy another and still have not spent as much as the other 'Pacific Rim' made name brands. A few thing gave up too soon and they replaced them, no big to-do about it. With anything with a motor drive run it there to listen to it, some things are too growly; they wont get better if you take them home.

I've used harbor freight spray guns with no problems. :D
DSC02857.jpg

DSC02558.jpg

DSC02540.jpg

IMG_6519.jpg

glow-dark-pic.jpg

IMG_6104.jpg

IMG_6110.jpg

IMG_5882.jpg

IMG_5824.jpg

IMG_5801.jpg

IMG_3049.jpg

IMG_2352.jpg

IMG_2338.jpg

I hope that's enough proof. :D :D :D :D :D

@ chimichanga: Those bikes look nice I will def. say thats proof for me. any particular one? How 'bout their media blasters ?

Thanx for all the feedback. I know what I gotta do now plus I have a good freind whos a pro painter (doesnt do automotive) that knows how to spray out furniture type finishes on woodwork. Im thinkin he'll be my teacher on how to spray evenly. :mrgreen:

You need a Dawg or a Kitty to ANNOY Ya in your Shop to make it Complete!

Gotta LOVE "Em.

Well.....back in the days when i still swung a gun instead of a body hammer i used the H.F. gun(purple hvlp....i think they go for about $30-$40) for pretty much everything and never had a problem with them and could get the same finish as my boss using his $500 sata. the only thing ill warn you about them is youll need to crank your air pressure up more than any quality gun to get the materials to lay better(i tried 25#s at the gun and it just gave a ton of orange peel since it didnt atomize all the way.....just play around with it when you set it up. thats the key with all guns though.....
bikeformommysday.jpg

tinytrad002.jpg

the pedal car was just primer but just to show its a pretty well rounded gun....
itll shoot surfacer/sealer/base/flake/and clear w/o any problems
and if ever forget to clean it theyre cheap enough that its not a huge loss when its beyond salvaging. toss and get a new one....
as for media blasters i wouldnt get the ones they carry at h.f. from what ive seen they dont work very well(ohhh....and f.y.i. the cheaper eastwood ones are the same exact ones just blue instead of red or orange and about $20 more :roll: ) sand paper is cheap and just as effective in paint removal.....just slower

Those pics are pretty impressive too. I was at the depot today with my buddy who paints and we were lookin at their sprayers and was tellin me what to look for. I told him he was gunna spray the first one so I could learn form him and he said he was lookin forward to it :wink:

heres a picture of my sandblaster, big enough for a bike frame. has a light and vacuum system. not sure of the brand.. got it used for a great deal
blaster.jpg

figured id toss up what one of those cheapie purple guns can do when set up correctly(the $25 harbor freight guns i swear by) with a 3 stage paint.....
oh and thats not color sanded and buffed out....straight out of the gun :wink:
100_3970.jpg

100_3969.jpg

100_3972.jpg

id stack that against a multi hundred $ gun any day....its all about setting up what you have correctly(that and learning how to use it) not the price....well that and most painters now wouldnt know a decent paint job if they saw one since the majority have learned to match what the factories are spraying....you know....tons of orange peel :roll:

sorry i just noticed theres dust all over that....its not in the paint....just got dusty sitting while i was working(guess i shouldve wiped it off before i took those!) :oops:

Back