shaving side wall texture?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
I have a couple tires that have some texture and lettering molded into the sides. I'd like completely smooth sidewalls for a project I'm building. Has anyone ever shaved texture off the sidewalls? If so... how? Tips?

Kind of. I did the side tread on my "GOODTIME CHARLIE" build.
IMG_0505-1.jpg

IMG_0509-1.jpg

IMG_0510-1.jpg

Used 36 grit on my little 3" L head grinder, followed by 80 on a block, followed by 180on a block, and finished with 320on a block.
Those were during pics but you get the idea.

I did it on a big knobby 24x3, with my angle grinder. I didn't want to take my project back apart Again, to widen the frame.I shaved off the outer knobs. I had to do it outside. The smell of burnt rubber can be a bit choking

Used 36 grit on my little 3" L head grinder, followed by 80 on a block, followed by 180on a block, and finished with 320on a block.
Those were during pics but you get the idea.
Did using a block create any unevenness? I'm concerned that if I use a grinder I will inadvertently shred the tire, so I think I'd go the "block" route.

On regular car tires, I've had good luck removing lettering with an 80 grit pad on a DA sander, set to the spin mode. I would think it'd work just as well on bike tires.

Practice on some old junk ones first!

CRASH, No. I like doing stuff by hand since it's slower so it allows you to be more precise. I block everything be it cars, bikes, motorcycles, or anything else. Just keep an even stroke and it'll be fine. I will say that I started just blocking down the side on that tire until I'd spent 2 days doing that and only gotten about 1/4 of the 1 side done. Then it was out with the grinder and finish it off by hand!

try a dremel wit a sanding drum & set the dremel on lowest settin , move the dremle sanding drum ovet it till you get the disired amount removed uses the finer grit for finishin & smoothing

Back