Shelby Traveller

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats a nice bike, But whats with the forks? are they bent or from some other type of bike, not those on a fat tire before. mmmmm interesting. I have to look this one up. Shelby Traveler about what year?

Thanks, I don't know the year, but the forks and truss rods are original to the bike. It has adjustment screws for the rear wheel which is why I describe it as pre WW2. I found it at a flea market years ago, I forget the price, it was either $10 or $15, and it was allready ratted. No front fender, poorly bobbed rear fender, (I think I still have it ) and no chain guard, missing seat. I just sanded and repainted it and painted the original rims battleship grey, and added the whitewall tires.

Turn the forks around and see if it rolls ture if it does leave them it maybe pretty cool.

Thanks again. CCR, the sprocket measures about 9" dia. After a closer look at the forks, they don't look appear to be bent, but made that way. I will probably reverse them to their original position though, to see how it looks. Thanks Clothespin"n", I love your RRBO bike.

i like those forks, its been my experience that when forks are bent from an impact, the two fork arms never bend exactly the same, are they identical? did you notice any stress cracks in the original paint or welds? that'd be awesome if they were made that way, ive never seen a factory fork bent that way, if not, then using them backwards in stead of replaceing them was a good call by whoever did it! now thats rat rodding! fast eddie outty

Thanks Fast Eddie, the bend in the forks look identical, there are no cracks present, no signs of anything wrong when I stripped them for repainting. I haven't seen any other Shelby forks with this bend though either, so that does make me question whether they are supposed to be that way. This is another reason I like rats vs. restoring....If it looks cool it's ok!

IF that crank and sprocket is original, then that bike was built between 1936-1938.
I know that only because I have the same sprocket and crank.

No, I have a postwar Monark with a Prewar Shelby crank so I was researching and realized that the bike was just a monark.
Good Luck in your hunt.

Back