shifter with hidden cabling??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

did anyone try to make a gripshift that works like an motorcycle throttle with internal cable routing ? I want a Clean handlebar for my next build, but i dont want to take my hands of the bar for shifting, so i´m thinkin' - a shifter inside the handlebar - something like this
internal_throttle2.jpg

ofcourse with some kind of indexing - i think ill go with a 3 sp to not make it too hard

give me your 2 cents..can it be done ?? has it been done ??

regards
Flemming

this never happened to me before ?? a full day without a single reply?? did i actually think of something nobody build before?? :lol:

if i ever get my head in gear - ill post what i found out..

regards
Flemming

everything under the sun has already been done(just may take a bit to find the person thats done it is all)
id look for a manual on the ones for cycles and go from there....

Alot of my old Hondas had internal throttle cables. The only problem for a bicycle that I could think of is to have the shifter grip stay in that exact place when you find the gear you want. I'll be thinking on that, just saw this post a minute ago.

Re: shifter with hidden cabling??
by Quanah on Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:21 pm

Alot of my old Hondas had internal throttle cables. The only problem for a bicycle that I could think of is to have the shifter grip stay in that exact place when you find the gear you want. I'll be thinking on that, just saw this post a minute ago.

Quanah - if you got some pics of a throttle assy i would be glad to see them, or maby a model of the honda, then i can browse a little on that.. i think i might have solved the indexing - but it´ll need some testing

flemrasm, Your pic is probably better than mine, the Honda CT 70 is one of several models that had an internal throttle cable.
CT70HANDLEBAR.gif

Another is the Z50.
Z50HANDLEBAR.gif

Another is the QA50.
QA50HANDLEBAR.gif

Pics come from here http://www.shspowersports.com/
Would like to see how you solved the indexing problem, I haven't been too successful. Wouls like to see pics when you get it worked out...Good Luck!!!

thanx both, funny thing is i actually already read that article - and still didnt get how the throttle works, but i did it again, snd i think i might be gtting somewhere in understanding how it works :) need some materials, and ill start work :)

flemming

Has anyone made any progress on this? I had this same idea, was hoping to find someone who had done it before.

I had considered using parts of an 3-speed grip shifter to solve the indexing problem, then adapting it to a twist throttle mechanism. But that doesn't solve the problem of actually routing the cable inside the handlebar.

Back