Shimano 3 spd thumb shifter help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Four simple parts and I can't seem to get them together into anything that comes close to resembling a shifter! Am I missing a part? For some reason I feel like I need a ball bearing or something that will create a click type of sound when it "clicks" into position. Any and all advice would be appreciated. This little thing is holding up the progress with my '57 Columbia Fire Arrow! Thanks in advance.

ShimanoShifter003.jpg

Yes, there's a little ball bearing that between the shifter and handle that goes to those 3 holes to lock into each gear. I lost one on one of mine and tried all different sizes of bearings, never found one just right, and it has to be the right size to work properly.

Wildcat said:
Yes, there's a little ball bearing that (goes) between the shifter and handle that goes to those 3 holes to lock into each gear. I lost one on one of mine and tried all different sizes of bearings, never found one just right, and it has to be the right size to work properly.
Ugh! I had a feeling that was the case. Thanks for the info Wildcat. Can anyone help me out with that special little bearing? I'd be glad to send out a self addressed return envelope and a reasonable amount of cash for the effort.

It's larger than a bb, I tried headset, front wheel bearing and others. It might be easier to get another shifter.

Check your 'yellow pages' or online for a bearing supply house in your area, they have it all; or if you have a packrat friend that is a car or motorcycle, or gun buff he might have a 'bin' with odds and ends, I know I do!

Thank you both for your input. You have both put me on the right track. Buying a used shifter, even in poor condition, but mailed to my house, is probably easier than locating a bearing shop in my area and experimenting/fishing for the correct size. Again, I appreciate the advice.

Back