Shimano 333 bolt pattern

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have or could take a nice close up pict of their Shimano 333 hub from the shifter side. My bike has the hub and the little lever that the shift cable hooks up to but the guy I bought if from had the lever all bent up cause it hits the sissy bar when you tr y to tighten it with out pulling the shift lever open. I guess what I'm really looking for is to see if the actually bolt setup he had was proper cause when titened the shift lever points straight up instead of forward. Thanks all

It's not supposed to be tightened all the way on the axle. Screw down the bell crank 'til it bottoms, then back it off 'til it's in line with the cable. Normally there's a locking nut to hold the bell crank in alignment. Take out the slack with the cable adjustment, centering the red circle on the lever with the little window on the housing. You may have to loosen or tighten the cable a thread or two for best shifting. :|

Ok cool, good info, however I don't have a shifter or cable, the bike did not come with one, so I would still like to see a close up picture of the whole thing (at the hub) cabled. In my search for a shifter I have come across different cable guides and what not and am really not sure in detail how the whole set up should look once connected at the hub.

I think I sorted it out, the lock nut your speaking of he had cranked down to tighten down the sissy bar causing the bellhousing nut to thread all the way down and get screwed up on the sissy bar.

So what is the order that people generally go in other words, the axle goes in the guides and then from there do people generally put the sissy bar on, and tighten the whole thing down with the main retaining nut?

Yes. Also there should be an anti-rotation washer that goes on the axle with a bent tab that goes in to the dropout on one side, usually the chain side but it doesn't really matter which. This should be inside the frame, with the tab facing outwards.

Just picked up a sweet complete hub, with controls for $35 on ebay, now time to learn to lace a rim!

Thanks for the link I had seen his site previously and he didn't really have any good setup info about the 333 just more history info, however I stumbled upon these and are great info for anyone wanting to know how to install or setup an old 333.

Shimano333exploded.jpg

Shimano333Install.jpg

Latest posts

Back