Shimano 333 stick shifter

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am guessing someone has done this, so I am hoping to eliminate a few mistakes. I have this three speed click stick and want to use it with a newer Sturmey or Nexus rear hub. I found a good deal on a set of Electra wheels with a three speed Nexus hub. I guess my question is will it work and would it be better to go with the Nexus or the Sturmey hub? I did a search and got some information, but was hoping someone could chime in....thanks!

Here is the shifter...

333.jpg

Terry

Why not use a Shimano 3 speed? There would be no question of compatability and they are plentiful and inexpensive. In my experience they work just as well as any of the others. I believe they are just a SA clone.

Based on what I've gathered from asking similar questions, you should be able to use a Shimano 333 shifter with a Shimano Nexus hub, but it more than likely will not work with the S-A hub.

I don't think that Shimano changed the amount of cable travel required for shifting from the 333-family to the more modern Nexus line, so a shifter for one should work with the other. The Sturmey Archer hubs, however, have a different cable travel requirement compared to Shimano, and appear to even be different for the 1-2 shift than it is for the 2-3 shift. For an S-A hub, you have to use an S-A shifter.

I mated a 333 Twist-Grip to a Nexus 3 speed coaster on my daughter's bike. No problems at all, except 1st gear is "3", 3rd gear is "1". So it shifts high to low vs. low to high, big deal, she doesn't know any different! :mrgreen:
DSCF3057.jpg

Go for it!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Latest posts

Back