Shimano Front Freewheel System? (ponytailmike?)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I have this complete working FFS system on an ancient Ross Europa that's been hanging in the shed since we moved here 4 years ago, and it hung in the garage at the old house for maybe 5 years before that. Now I'm thinking it'd be cool on a rat/cruiser, especially since seeing ponytailmike use one on his Murray. Reminds me of an old Turbo-Hydramatic 350 tranny, but anyway...

I know I need to use the rear "freewheel" cluster off the FFS bike, because it's fixed and DOESN'T freewheel and that's what makes the system work. My question: Can I just remove the freewheel from the hub it's on and put it on another hub, or is the hub specific to the FFS system too? I'm hoping to find a 24" MTB to cannibalize for the rims (and maybe brakes), and I'm hoping I DON'T have to have the FFS hub laced into a rim...

While I'm asking... anyone who's taken apart the crank/BB on a FFS bike, is there anything special to do? Does it just come out and transfer into the new BB like a regular one-piece crank, or are there a bunch of springs or ball bearings or whatnot that are gonna fall out when I do this?

thanks in advance...

--rick

the front sprocket will come out in one piece (plus bearings, cones etc.) . There are "sealed" bearings seperate from everything that allow the sprockets to spin. Oh, and it weighs a ton!! Good luck, Mark

rick
as long as it's a one piece crank it should just swap
nothing special with the front
as far as the back
the rear freewheel would be standard thread
it will take an old shimano freewheel remover
most older lbs should have one around (different splines than the newer ones)
just as a thought you could buy a disc brake hub currently used on newer bikes
and use older nonfreewheeling gear cluster
those old 70's disc brakes i used are very, very, VERY, HARD TO FIND :( :( :(
by the way that old rear gear cluster will allow it to freewheel
if the chain was to say get stuck in the drive train
i've had one apart has springs and pals inside
i have yet to get it back together :wink:
i've found it best to just leave some stuff alone :roll:
i'd love to see you use a front freewheel set up
there is nothing like seeing the drivetrain running all the time :D
i'll help you as much as i can from 6 to 7 hundred miles away
ponytailmike