Shipping to Canada

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious if any canadians have bought bikes from people in the states ? the distance from some states isn't too bad, but does crossing the border really jack up the price of the shipping ?

i've recieved/sent bikes, guitars, and other large items across the boarder many many times.

it worst getting things from the u.s. than it is sending em to the u.s.
lets say ya send a bike to canada via the us postal service. you'll probably have to pay alittle extra considering its an oversized package. now when the bike hits the boarder thats as far as the us postal service goes. canada post picks up the package, charges a brokerage fee,taxes(7% pst on the listed value of the item),duty and a - delivery charge for sending it the rest of the way.(once again being dinged extra for an oversized package) so when the bike arrives, i'll probably end up paying an extra $30-$60 at my door.

puralator,usps etc can be even worste sometimes. they just hit ya with expensive shipping costs right from the get go and alot of times i still have to pay extra at the door to recieve the package.

sending things to the states on the other hand is much cheaper. (no pst,duty etc.)

I've bought complete bikes a few times, and have learned through experience that the amount of $ spent depends on who delivers it.
When I bought my lemon peeler from Minnesota, the initial shipping cost was 90 bucks u.s. at the UPS counter(1 large bike box). When the bike finally arrived here in Ottawa, they tacked on another $292.37 in customs/brokerage fees. Add in conversion to usd, the shipping total was in the neighbourhood of $450. I wont even go into the whole damaged goods thing here, but here's a link;http://www.epinions.com/review/bsrv...l-UPS_Standard_to_Canada/content_411701251716
When I bought my orange krate from Georgia, I asked the seller to box the frame,handlebars and 48 inch sissy bar as 1 package, and the wheels,seat,and everything else as a 2nd box. Total cost of shipping both boxes with U.S.P.S?
90 bucks 8)
Our governments have worked it out a flat rate ( it was 5 bucks, might be a little higher now) brokerage fee. Private carriers like ups, dhl,purolater, and so on will charge you whatever they feel like.
Heres a decent shipping guide hosted on ebay for new shippers;http://reviews.ebay.com/Complete-Gu...om-the-US-via-USPS_W0QQugidZ10000000000084869
So, while theres literally 100's of bikes i'd like to add to the collection, I seldom buy a bike south of the border unless the price is real low, and the seller is flexible when it comes to shipping.
Rick

Not to mention that we pay import duty on anything coming into Canada over C$20... I got hit with a $40 brokerage fee on a Schwinn headbadge that had US$21 on the customs label (the sender had added the $8 shipping cost onto the form). I shipped a US$1500 mountain bike from Toronto to San Fran and the guy didn't pay a cent in extra taxes...

Back