shopper

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dunno if you have these over in th US
but over in the UK theyre well cheap cos all the old people who have them are getting too old
many have 3 speed hubs
so i bought one for £5 cant say fairer than thot (that)

2elr0h3.jpg

woot 3 speed shimano hub
and foam tyres

a build off would be mean
dya recon i should do it black n red or bare metal it and let it rot.
itll do it quick in an english winter in a nice damp shed

Which is why your shed is constructed of concrete block instead of wood post and beam. :wink:

When I was in Wexford Ireland for work, the other engineers were astounded that maintenance on my timber home was not very much more that on their concrete block structures. Ah, mother nature's idiosyncrasies. She has a plan, we just don't know what it is. :)

thats the garage its gotta move to the shed.
my grandperents will get funny if i leave it up in the garage when its done
have you been over to the UK then? i guess you mean the Ireland where Guiness is from
i thought about choppin the headtube and fitting in a 27" fork
but im not sure if it would look right, id still fit a 20" wheel kinda like the bike you and your son built
btw that was really cool, specially that rear tire and the front forks

Yes Ireland; the island near you that brews that most wondrous beverage that gives strength. :) Went to Dublin but did not get to see the brewery.

hmm ... a 27 fork on your shopper .... could work. Apes would compensate for the shorter head tube. Or straight bars would give it the "racer shopper look". Can you fit a 24" wheel on the rear? That would make it "sit" better.

Thanks for the complements on Boy's bike. He had lots of fun building it. We are taking it to school sometime soon for "show and tell".

apes are kinda hard to find where i am (Isle of Wight, right down south), we mostly have a old racer culture, hence the 27" forks
a 24 wil never fit with a big tire on a 20 you get minimal clearance
Guiness is well expensive in dublin a freind went up there for his birthday and consequently didnt drink much

stripped and sanded the frame today

2re5oxh.jpg

didnt come up too bad
gunna chop down the headtube next so i can fit some other forks, the headtube is freakishly big as is.

not sure whether to paint of to let is go back to rust? any thoughts

i say pait it a flat color and do the same to the rims. that head tube is big. wow

Outlaw

if you look at the Bottom bracket its wierd too, like a mix of a US bb and an english one with cotter pinned cranks
i was gunna do the thing in BBQ flat black, but i still aint sure
got some 27" forks ready to strip, paint and fit
hopeing it might be cool when done. hope to get it done for christmas
if u've got any suggestions im listening
anyone got any advice for chopping down headtubes other than get it right?

When I cut anything that is round I make sure to measure in a few spots all around the circumference. then I have some guide marks to keep my cut parallel to the opposing end.

when i try and cut round stuff it usually ends up a bit 'drunk' to say the least. i think ill invest in a good quality hacksaw first bendy ones dont really help.
thanks for the advice im gunna use your technique. ill probably tape a line from mark to mark so i have a solid line to cut to

threw in the longer fork today
cut the headtube down as well. it twas easy especially with the advice from thatismytruck. thanks.
1znyf6e.jpg

s59y1d.jpg

it looks sooo good from this angle
rolled around on the drive to celebrate it rolls lovely so smooth and it steers really well

the flat bars are not staying, ive got some oldy school BMX bars winging thier way to me, soon i hope!
i have decided to leave the bike bare and let it rot a bit, it wont show the old chrome up too much this way, plus my mum thinks it looks better bare. (artistic guidance)
i might do some choice stencilling, ive got two SKA ones on the go

im glad you were there to give me advice. if not i would still wondering if i should!
the forks are being sanded to match the frame.
im not sure weher to put the mudguards back on, any ideas?

She is Complete
2z4hht0.jpg

i love this angle
2ry1p8o.jpg

decided to mount the front fender as the rear and lock the 3 speed hub in the lowest gear.
ideally i want a single speed coaster brake rear hub but i am having no luck in finding one in the UK

Back