Should I attempt to build a wooden "tank"?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want a tank for my '88 Schwinn and the PRICES I see on ebay and elsewhere are near what I have in the rest of the bike total!
I was thinking of cutting out a piece of wood and painting it either black or white to fill the void and be a faux tank.
To me a cruiser style bike looks incomplete without a tank :(
What do you gents think? Would it work or look tacky?
Here is my bike.

546835_4943550066761_1589628523_n.jpg

Re: Should I attempt to build a wooden "tank"?

You could wrap it in aluminum flashing with the seam in the middle.

Sent from my HTC EVOLTE using Tapatalk.

I say go for it, I actually had this idea but instead of wood I was going to use expanding foam covered in body filler then painted. Never got past thinking about it though.

do it , just put a thin layer of bondo over the wood if do dont want to see the grain in 3d

or in foam it works great ,and is a bit easer , i did one by gluing 2 layers of wall insulation foam , shaping them and covering them with 1/8" thick of fiberglass bondo and holding it by screwing rubber washers with screws tight on each side of the frame at 3 places :wink:

Check out the builds of RRBBO7. I think there were about 8 or 10 wooden tanks.

Im thinking about making a wood tank for my CWC bike but covering the wood with a thin layer of bondo than painting it....i cant find a tank for a reasonabl price do why not make one right?

I made the tank on hard luck out of a board my neighbor threw out. Its easy just go slow

I made the tank on hard luck out of a board my neighbor threw out. Its easy just go slow

That would be perfect for a military bike build.

I saw a bike with a wooden tank recently at a swap meet. I would have bought it but it was like 100 bucks over my budget. Sounds like a good idea if youve got the skills to do it do it!

Have you seen the back of a Lute? I like the idea of a wooden tank. Especially since my woodworking skills are better than my metal working will ever be!
7c-Rolando.jpg

maa_lutes.jpg

Back