Should I ditch the original Schwinn wheels?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK.... I'm in a delimna here: I just picked up an old 1960's vintage Schwinn 'Racer" in really fine shape.... and am pondering what to do with it. The two real choices are Rat-rod it, or just clean it up and keep it original.

One problem this bike has is that the wheels are the funky Schwinn-sized 26 x 1 3/8 (S5) .... and tires are not easy to get for it. If I keep the bike totally original, I'm stuck with the odd-sized tire. I do have however, a very nice 3 speed wheelset off of a new TREK.... in modern 26" size.

SO.... do I: 1. keep the bike original... or 2. swap out the wheels and keep the rest of the bike looking original or 3. Rat Rod the heck out of it and don't worry if it's original... ?

I always worry that if I Rat-rod it, somebody will come up and say "Wow... you ruined that fine old bike!" at which point, I'd have to break their arm.

Rat-rod it if:

- the bike has no value, is ugly and not rare,

OR

- all changes can be reversed and the original parts don't get lost.

But I'm a "leave it alone" wussy.

Hugo

if it a rider then switch the wheels but I have always found tires to fit my Schwinns even the s5 and s6 rims though my lbs says he will not
put any more in stock...he sells mostly bmx and mountain bikes so I seem to be the only one around here looking for the stuff for the oldies.

like hugo said, as long as theres no reversable harm done, you still have a cool bike that can be turned back to original if you get a guilt trip er somethin. id swap the wheels

I had a hard time picturing a 'Schwinn Racer'...so I found a picture:

800px-Schwinn-racer.jpg

Not really all that 'racey' :wink:

Like the boys say...'bolt on' modifications can always be undone. Not like your air hammerin' the frame out to fit some 24X3 meats on it. But that could be cool also. Raceyer...

[off topic] Ei, that rack is the same as the one on my Austrian folding bike. It's aluminum and made in Switzerland, Pletscher (?) brand. Weird.

Hugo

Hugo... those racks were very common back in the early '70's. I had one just like it on my Sear generic 10-speed! MY racer has one ,too.... i'm thinking that they must have been a standard issue part on the Racers

Latest posts

Back