Show Us Your Art! (and other art talk)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
It was Atlas that held the world on his shoulders. Not Apollo or Hercules.
How do you know @Oldbiscuit didn't model it after ...
LouF_HerculesUnchained.jpg

Last edited:
This was my first metal, circa 95. This was some thicker aluminum cut by hand which proved too hard to do again.
metal k shadow.JPG

metal K set back.JPG

This was my second piece two years later. My intro to Deco-Aluminum sheets. Mapped out in some long gone spline connecting software that I learned for this project and cut by CNC. That's me in the 90s..

me in shop.JPG

This was a commission for "Michelle". In the 80s New Yorkers often acquired their gold jewelry on Canal Street in Chinatown and nameplates would utilize a familiar font found on nearby restaurant signage, like this..

hip-hop-nameplate-necklace.jpg
I tried to replicate the ladies version which would hang straight down from their ears. I gave it some graffiti-esque flair, filed the corners out and gave the front side a very delicate mask-n-spray outline with faint stars visible in this image near the top.
Michelle_nameplate_keylo.JPG

michelle hung.JPG

Last edited:
This is an experiment I was paid to carry out for Intel around 2010 in which I align an ordinary Xbox Kinect camera with a DSLR camera filming video so as to record the color at different points in space and manipulate them..

I then created three of these rigs, recorded three sides of the subject and stitched them together for further use at another agency. I used openframeworks to record and edit everything. There was a real time editor called RGBDToolkit within this library that allowed you to project multiple duplicates dancing next to yourself, for instance, then make it do this...

This is one pass twisting virtual knobs with nothing edited in the post, almost like a visual mixer that you plug into your camera data. Slightly misaligned must be my middle name. I hope it doesn't bleed over into my future attempts at bending tube.

For sake of the conversation, I consider none of the work I've posted art. I call it design. Because in the end there may be nods to culture in these pieces but nothing that draws "emotional power" as defined by the original Oxford English Dictionary. The word they spent more time debating than any other. To bring about such emotion a piece needs to be important to the viewer. And to produce such important work requires a bit of acquired wisdom on top of learned skills. This work imparts none of that nor did it intend to. Just perty stuff to spruce up our lives.

Last edited by a moderator:
I messed around with the latin roots of words for a while. Almost all of these posts were trial and error experiments with materials I'd never used before. This is Plexiglas painted from behind, outlined on the front, mounted simply with the head of a nail glued to each floating piece.
Ineo
ineo.jpg

Made this out of Sintra sheet. I bent it in places with a heat gun which hardens to shape when cooled.
Sagax
Sagax_large.JPG

Eventually I cut them out of heavier metal sheet and connected letters by spot welding ball hinged clamps to pipes making movable type. For this I reverted to a ridiculously hard time hand cutting. Discarded plywood came in handy too. This is my studio around 2001.
multiple unfinished.jpg

At about this time I started feeling like a glorified sign maker and pivoted back toward study. Thankfully this work helped financially support my decision. It was a profitable run that got me through some tough years in this high rent district but I always knew the medium was far too confining to say anything truly important with.

Attachments

• Big C.jpg
    Big C.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
. . . the medium was far too confining to really say anything truly important with.

Wow. Such never occurred to me. I guess I wasn't raised to change the world thru art. I was most happy when all my artwork said "SOLD". ;)

That was the most important change my work ever made: a change in our living standard.

Nowadays it's all just juvenile self-entertainment. The bikes, the old cars, the skateboards, the crazy speaker arrays....
It's the third bounce on my second childhood.

For the next bounce I’m working on this tricycle. It’s not a secret anymore so I guess I should start a regular build thread.
02F46DA6-8765-4A6C-B217-3C74A7F4E6A2.jpeg

I have a problem though. I promised myself I was going to do this car.
0A9B34C0-9625-42FB-B966-49A2CDD3ACEC.jpeg

I was going to convert my Plymouth club coupe into a two seat roadster, by extending the cowl, welding the doors shut, and building one small custom door on the passenger side. This allows me to channel the car plus have a super strong rocker structure (except this car doesn’t really need channeling to get it too low to go.)

Yet I am not supposed to start any of this until I put the fake Jaguar back together. It really has got to be my next project and the only reason I’m fiddling around with these drawings is it’s pouring rain and I can’t work outdoors.

Last edited:
Wish I had better flicks but this was my 62 Nova SS ragtop at a party in the 90s. I neglected the cracked chassis and fixing it was beyond my scope. Knowing what it required I'm rather impressed you're taking on that kind of structural challenge.
RaveRock_3.png

Last edited:
Wow. Such never occurred to me. I guess I wasn't raised to change the world thru art. I was most happy when all my artwork said "SOLD". ;)

That was the most important change my work ever made: a change in our living standard.

Nowadays it's all just juvenile self-entertainment. The bikes, the old cars, the skateboards, the crazy speaker arrays....
It's the third bounce on my second childhood.

For the next bounce I’m working on this tricycle. It’s not a secret anymore so I guess I should start a regular build thread.
View attachment 225323

I have a problem though. I promised myself I was going to do this car.
View attachment 225324

I was going to convert my Plymouth club coupe into a two seat roadster, by extending the cowl, welding the doors shut, and building one small custom door on the passenger side. This allows me to channel the car plus have a super strong rocker structure (except this car doesn’t really need channeling to get it too low to go.)

Yet I am not supposed to start any of this until I put the fake Jaguar back together. It really has got to be my next project and the only reason I’m fiddling around with these drawings is it’s pouring rain and I can’t work outdoors.
I can only hope to stay this active on my "third bounce". Either I'm on my first bounce or I never really matured =)
Might I suggest the free and open source Gimp.org software which I use for my own fantasy concepts. (Don't judge the frame. It's just a reference to the shape I'm looking for)
Suspension_Chopper.png

Still trying to figure out how to suspend the seat so the sissy-bar can move with the wheel. Beyond a suspension bar I was thinking multiple hinge points on the seat with the rear suspension very tight. (suggestions appreciated)

Last edited:
Word Matti. Life seems to be kicking you around, huh? I say this with a straight face.. eat some psilocybin brother. For real.
Coming out of a bit of darkness myself. I tend to withdraw from everything when I get that way. I just pull into my own little world. I can't concentrate or focus. My wife and my dogs are my only constant. I sit around all day burning herb. I love the herb but when you're attached to it all day it's not fun (or healthy). But I regressed. My wife got me taking this every morning.
Resized_20230214_153535.jpeg

It works for me. Pulled me out of a hole. Started back on projects, got back on RR Bikes (I missed you guys😊). Basically stepped out into the light.

Now I'm not saying this potion well work for you. You just need to explore alternatives. Right Ride 'em High? Rock on baby!🤘

Now what was that combination?

You’re right ! When I originally built it, I named it Hercules (dopey me), then now when I listed it I called it Apollo (again dopey me).
Now what was that combination?

Latest posts

Back