Show Us Your Art! (and other art talk)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@LeMad Hatter's post got me wondering how many other coders, scripters, programmers and developers there are in here.
My co worker said it took 45 lines of programming to design the spindle, and it'll take about an hour or so to cut it. I think he deserves more than just a beer
As one who's been dev'ing since DOS I had a chuckle there but as a famous artist once said, (and I paraphrase), it took moments to make and a lifetime to learn, so that beer is justified. Although I got zero credit for it a product I built (in New York) won Techcrunch Disrupt, San Francisco in 2010. I know @Ulu has touched upon his technical proficiencies. Any other's out there writing code in their sleep?

Last edited:
Semi-employment

1.jpg

ROOF PLAN.jpg

SW render.png

P1 xray.jpg

SE P2.PNG.png

Addition 4.jpg

@One-eyed Sailor
The drawings are very attractive, but . . .

My boss used to tell me that the problem with computer aided design, is that it can make the work of an inexperienced engineer look really professional, once it’s all plotted out.

It easily fools the average Joe or Jill.

My very first job in engineering (1975) was drawing trusses and designing this kind of residential roof. I have to supply a little harsh criticism of some obvious mistakes shown here.

The outriggers should be twice this long.
7191DAE9-8026-4AFF-85DD-6DCB0A3DCEA0.jpeg

In this situation you should hold the gable wall down far enough for the outriggers to pass over it so they will have a backspan.

Here, your barge rafter is just floating in space, and will wind up on the ground, as there is not even a continuous rim joist or ridge board to suspend it. There are other ways to do this, but this is not one of them.

In Europe, fancy brackets are popular.
672202CC-BAB5-47C1-9979-AAE3330D80D2.jpeg

That holds up the overhang.

In this view you do show a rim joist (fascia board) to hold up the tail of your barge rafter, but that’s just not enough. All of these members need a backspan, and with trusses you must also have continuous ridge blocking.
D136562A-8A1D-4EBA-99DB-E2249F2EE45D.jpeg

I’m not sure what’s going on here. There’s only one foot of overhang and then there’s a rafter 1 foot back from the gable wall.
E1E76624-7C55-4B78-A085-205898DAEB06.jpeg

So you do have a backspan on your outriggers there, but they don’t go to a truss. They just go to a rafter that is not on the 2 foot module. In this case you always wanna put your first truss two feet back from the gable wall, and leave your odd plywood spacing somewhere else in the roof where it doesn’t matter.

Folks, I haven’t had to mark up another guys drawing with a red pen since I retired in 2016. The one thing I really miss about my job is supervising the new engineers.

It’s not about busting their chops. It’s about seeing that Ah-HA! moment on their faces, when they understand something they did not previously. Everybody gets those moments and it’s a glorious thing.

EDIT: In case anybody is wondering, there’s a lot of pieces missing off of that roof plot that are never actually put on the drawings. It would be too confusing.

Things like continuous bridging, X-bracing of the trusses, and freeze blocking are only indicated by notes on the general details section of the drawings.

Last edited:
I call this installation piece, "Dead Man Biking"

1000022244.jpg
1000022245.jpg
1000022246.jpg
1000022247.jpg
1000022248.jpg
1000022249.jpg
1000022250.jpg

That was your Ah-ha moment?

Sailor, without us your barges would be aground.

;)
Ulu, I come here in peace, and you seem to like to stir stuff up a bit. That's ok, that's your right.
You make a lot of assumptions that aren't accurate. That's also your right.
I guess what I'm saying is that I don't have an ah-ha moment, sorry.

🤙

Sailor! My apologies!
I thought that was a pretty good joke.

If you don’t want to play along, then please at least understand me.

I’m not trying to start a fight: just stir some interest in the engineering issues on display; and I’m sorry that you don’t recognize this, Bro.

So if you think my jokes are harsh, again, you have my apologies.

I used to draw and paint a lot. Started out as a child, drawing my favorite comics. Then, after a short graffiti phase, I moved on to portraits. Pencil, brush, stencil, tried everything. Since I started making music again, unfortunately only very rarely. Here are a few things from back then.

peace0.9(1997).JPG

360°tabletop(2000).JPG

moritz(2003).JPG

coat(2004).JPG

rael(2004).jpg

blindfold(2005).JPG

homesick(2005).JPG

chris(2005).JPG

ohrring(2005).JPG

anett(2005).JPG

raelsticker(2005).JPG

raeltransparent(2006).JPG