SHOW US YOUR KLUNKERZ

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my clunker
398089_589471017732989_483358401_n.jpg

320932_589469784399779_1647435156_n.jpg

150074_589470364399721_73353438_n.jpg

Hey all,

New guy here. Just piked up an old Schwinn Typhoon, with plans to do a mild klunker build.

Here's the for-sale pic; should be on a truck en route to my house now.

30s7hv6.jpg

I do have a few questions.
It sounds like the Typhoon comes with one of the odd-ball Schwinn-specific tire sizes (26", but the "wrong" rim diameter). What's the most common way to address this? Use the original hubs with normal 26" rims and new spokes? Suck it up and use them as-is? Or, swap complete wheels from another bike?

Also, is the steer tube a normal size? Is it a normal 1"? Or, if I want to swap forks, will I have to cobble together some sort of hybrid headset?

You will want Schwinn S-2 rims for "normal size" 26 inch tires... Or find some Araya 7X rims... Two of the most common wheels for early Klunkers. But if your funds do not allow and your not going to beat on the bike.. Just find some everyday 26 inch rims... There is so much you can do or not do to make it "correct" or make it your own. Build your vision... The neck is normal... 1"... Wald makes a good budget BMX style fork... Browse a couple pictures up at my budget klunker... Most of all have fun!!!

I'm definitely not worried about making the bike "correct". Just fun and usable.

The first step will just be tearing down what's there, reassemble it, and ride it a bit. I have a vision in my head, but I want to ride it some and get a feel for how I'll use it before spending too much money.

tons of options out there; definitely get some 559mm 26" rims; I'd probably use different hubs (something with brakes is nice) but it's up to you. Personally, i think it'd make more sense to get some of the "normal" 26" wheels built around some drum brake hubs, and save the original wheels as they are, in case you ever want to re-sell the typhoon.

The set up you have takes a normal 1" threaded 24tpi fork, and you'll want something with a 6 1/2" steerer. If you ever wanted to switch headsets, however, you'll need a much wider 1" headset, like a wald 4080. The headtube id on an old schwinn is like 33mm instead of the "standard" 30.0mm. Also, if you want to get more rad, you can get a retro ryder headset from genuine bicycle products and run a 1 1/8" threadless set up without frame mods. If it were me, I'd get a 1" threaded BMX fork and run that with a bmx quill stem and some old moto bars.

Wald does make a cool fork, but the one I had took a 91mm OLD front hub. Most "modern" hubs are 100mm; you could try to spread the fork, but then again, you could just buy a 100mm fork. SE Landing Gear forks are pretty rad, for $90 or so.

Bicycle808 said:
[ good stuff snipped ]

Thanks! That's great info. Looks like as long as don't go crazy, this build should be pretty straightforward. As soon as the bike arrives, I'll be sure to update this thread, or start a build thread.

fishcreek said:
. . . . Still waiting for a NOS Sturmey Archer CB to arrive.
Maybe it's in that red box with the green ribbon on the front porch! :D
BTW, I love this bike!

Laced the front wheel with SA X-FD, still trying to figure out how to rig an attachment for the brake arm and fork leg.

20130215_163301.jpg

fishcreek said:
Laced the front wheel with SA X-FD, still trying to figure out how to rig an attachment for the brake arm and fork leg.

3/4" wide thin strap metal covered w/ heat shrink tubing. :|

232323232%7Ffp63562%3Enu%3D8%3A%3A%3B%3E733%3E259%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3C9528%3A3634%3Anu0mrj

That's pretty much how I did it; just a hose clamp tightened down on the brake arm, with a strip of old innertube to protect the fork's paint. Never gave me any problems, in close to a year...

Latest posts

Back