SHOW US YOUR KLUNKERZ

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CB9U9637.jpg

Obligatory "I'd Rather Be Klunkin'" shirt-shot. I'm aboard Alan Bonds' '37 Schwinn on Repack (my '35 just had a mechanical and Alan kindly walked it down the hill to the shop in town and let me ride his). This was the day before the world premiere of Klunkerz. Along with us on the ride was Alan Bonds, Joe Breeze, Russ Mahon and a few others. It was a blast:). The photo is courtesy of DECLINE magazine.

IMGP0307-1.jpg

My '33 Schwinn B-10. The first year of the "26 fat tire bike. I believe this bike this bike still hangs in Peri's Silver Dollar Saloon in Fairfax, CA. We had a rip roaring party and it looked so good hanging there that I just left it. The Sweetheat on that thing was MASSIVE. There was absolutely no riding up on that thing.

Well now youve gone and down it! Now i'm building a Klunker because I seen this post, thanks alot! lol

This seems to be a good place to ask, What kind of frame should I use? I'm canadian so those canti frames arn't as common besides department store bikes. those are everywhere... wait a min I thought of something. What if I make a Mini Klunker with my Mustang frame?! lol I get lots of Raleigh sports but they wont hold big wheelsI guess I coulf get a frame shipped in, can't cost that more for a bare frame.

klunkerbill said:
CB9U9637.jpg

Obligatory "I'd Rather Be Klunkin'" shirt-shot. I'm aboard Alan Bonds' '37 Schwinn on Repack (my '35 just had a mechanical and Alan kindly walked it down the hill to the shop in town and let me ride his). This was the day before the world premiere of Klunkerz. Along with us on the ride was Alan Bonds, Joe Breeze, Russ Mahon and a few others. It was a blast:). The photo is courtesy of DECLINE magazine.
way too cool!!!! 8)

Oh yeah, that's Joe's original bike. He won a lot of Repack races on this bike before he built Breezer #1, the world's first purpose built mountain bike with all new parts:).

I really should take some better shots, but:

Mine's a late-era Chicago Schwinn cantilever with the factory tubular forks, and all the brackets for mounting fenders/racks left intact. Paint is Rust-O-Leum Antique Ivory and Blue Hammertone finish with a few touches of Aged Bronze.
schwinng16.jpg

Wheels are old Sun hard-anno hoops drilled out to accept the oversized nipples required by .120" Ti spokes. Front hub is ACS and the rear is an early '80s Shimano MX - both are large-flange.
schwinng15.jpg

Seat is a Schwinn roadie/BMX unit, and one-piece cro-mo cranks sport a bronze-anodized alloy 34T chainwheel and SR Beartrap pedals. That stem is an early MTB ACS unit, while the bars are 1979 Honda. A Miller High Life bottle opener graces the headtube, the Chicago screws used to mount it having the same center-spacing as the Schwinn headbadge.
schwinng14.jpg

Not pictured is the new aluminum seatpost, made from 1/4" wall 1" tubing that I turned down on the ends to fit the 13/16" size for the frame and the 7/8" dia. needed for the seat clamp.

this will be a handy thread :D here are mine.......

inspired by the exploits of the famous klunker riders in articles like this....

scan0008.jpg

......i had to have one of my own. of course my schwinn deluxe cruiser was hopelessly outdated by the stumpjumper and marin county mountainbikes- but they were still at least $800 at the time. i paid the princely sum of $188 at 'the outdoorsman' where i would later buy my first 'real' mountain bike from a not-yet-famous ned overend! here's my old roommate riding it outside durango @1982.

perins3.jpg

perins5.jpg

i had this middleweight for about 20 years before i gave most of it to a friend.....

DSC00685.jpg

.....after i became a pre-war junkie. 1938 'admiral' badged schwinn. i don't have any recent pics but right now it has a sugino bmx crank with a big 'ol skip tooth chainring, more authentic looking tires, and a morrow rear hub.

DSC00852.jpg

DSC00866.jpg

the 'krusty klunker', this old rollfast turned into a surprisingly nice rider.

DSC01122.jpg

DSC01760.jpg

this was a project to create a lighter klunker. 40/41 dx 'excelsior' badged, with it's cromo fork, mafac cantis, and other little changes it came in just under 30 pounds with a spare tube.

DSC01740.jpg

DSC01709.jpg

DSC01741.jpg

another nice rider, i like the morrow hub and the little details that are different on this 1942 'b.f. goodrich' branded schwinn.

DSC01725.jpg

DSC01735.jpg

DSC01732.jpg

DSC01731.jpg

'the beaver', my klunker based rrb build-off bike. another pre-war schwinn frame and a tange fork used for this one. the best aligned pre-war frame i've had, sadly it's pitted worse than a pro-activ model's 'before' picture....

DSC00154.jpg

DSC00137.jpg

DSC01698.jpg

i still have this 'planes and trains' schwinn waiting for inspiration....

DSC01570.jpg

DSC01537.jpg

to paraphrase steve mcqueen in 'on any sunday', klunker people are good people. joe breeze sent me this in a reply to a fork question i emailed him a while ago. pretty cool!

GetAttachment2.jpg

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

My prewar DX. Didn't make the klunker build off deadline, but I did finally get it finished:

DXEve0001-1.jpg

And my current project a prewar "C":

DXEve0030.jpg

Cheers,
T

A lot of inspirational people and builds on this thread. Thanks for sharing,
T

what a pleasant surprise :D

Latest posts

Back