Single or multi speed hub for tandem??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Im putting together an old Rollfast tandem. I was wondering if I will be happy with a single speed hub or if I should go to multi speed hub.

The HD wheels I have are a single speed. I had my eye on a set with a 3spd rear but they are spendy.

Thanks,

The wife always have problems when I shift gears, even with a warning. We ride better with a 1 speed.

I'm guessing here, since my tandem isn't much more than a decoration at the moment. But I would think that shifting gears with an internal gear hub might be easier than a derailer set up. When you go to shift, you can tell your stoker to stop pedaling. You shift, then you start again, whereas with derailer gearing you have to keep pedaling, and the load/speed change can be awkward.

I'm thinking of building a new wheelset for mine, using a Sturmey 5-speed hub, which can be ordered with a drum brake. I'd come to the conclusion a while ago that 3 speeds may be fine for in-town, but it isn't enough range for any kind of touring.

Yah. I guess I can always run with the single I have and then go to the 3 speed if it does not work. We do just in town riding through the neighborhood. I just like the cleanness of no cables. Im working on an old Rollfast twinn.

Back