Single sided swing arm/ stay?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this has been done before.Just wondering what technics are out there. Or ways to fab one out off an existing rear hub. Or if anyone sells this type of hub. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

never done one but you'll need a sturdy axle to handle the bending force of only being supported on one side, the drop out will need to be beefed up too. I'd suggest keeping on the look out for wheelchair and recumbant trike hubs.

The more I'm thinking about it you will have a twisting force on a single chainstay so better reinfoce that too!

Hopefully someone with some practical knowledge will chime in soon..

Definitely got to beef up the swingarm/stay!
KennyP has done it .....
http://www.forum.freakbikenation.com/ph ... =38&t=1583

I believe 4th Horseman (Eric Paulson), Gary Sheron (LowLife Bikes), ChopperOlli and several others have accomplished this with great results.

I would think about using a cutting blade spindle off of a riding rotary lawnmower. The blade bolt would be strong enough and you could drill holes for the spokes (use heavy spokes!). It might make for a heavy wheel but it's lighter than the option of using a motorcyucle hub. I know there are plenty of other ways to get to the result that you seek, but these could be the cheaper ways to go about it and have plenty of strength.
Good luck and keep us updated!
Chainsaw

I realise this is not exactly what you are talking about but I am planning to use a 3 piece bottom bracket welded to the beefed up rear stay with the wheel mount (using car wheels) mounted on one side and the freewheel and disc brake on the other. I appreciate this is a lot of force on one side but if the wheel is centred over the bearings it should be fine. (I hope!) High tensile 16mm (5/8in) shafts come as standard in most bb's, and I know I have never bent one... Tried jumping up and down on a crank and could not get any movement...

Anyone ever tried this?

DSC00108 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Edit: It works!, check out my build: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=65514

Luke.

Latest posts

Back